Anyone install headers on the S550?

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
I’m new to posting on this part of the site, I have a 88Gt but my son has a 2015 GT. Thinking about installing them myself, I have access to a lift, but I might leave it to the professionals. Time is my biggest problem, and know it’s more involved then my old foxbody. Anyone pay a shop to put them in? And how much did it cost? What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got full length Kooks on my 2017. I recommend professional instillation unless you really know your way around under the S550's hood. Also, if you eliminate the cats be sure to have it tuned. Otherwise you will have to put up with a check engine light for low start up exhaust temp.

I put stainless power long tubes on my 17 GT myself lying on my back with the car on jackstands. You have to disconnect and pull the battery, remove the battery tray, remove the strut tower brace if you have one, remove the CAI, remove the starter, disconnect the steering shaft, support the engine and remove both motor mounts. Do yourself a favor and leave the factory studs in the heads and reuse them with the factory nuts, don't use the bolts that come with the headers. It will be much easier to line up the new headers with the studs still there.

I put high flow cats on mine and still had to have it tuned to turn off the CEL

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I put stainless power long tubes on my 17 GT myself lying on my back with the car on jackstands. You have to disconnect and pull the battery, remove the battery tray, remove the strut tower brace if you have one, remove the CAI, remove the starter, disconnect the steering shaft, support the engine and remove both motor mounts. Do yourself a favor and leave the factory studs in the heads and reuse them with the factory nuts, don't use the bolts that come with the headers. It will be much easier to line up the new headers with the studs still there.

I put high flow cats on mine and still had to have it tuned to turn off the CEL
Thanks Blue, yeah I know it’s a ton of work. I have catted pipes and already have it tuned for the intake we put on, and I know we’ll have to tune it again for the headers. It’s my sons car and he has the dough to pay a pro to do it. Not sure if I want to tie up my time and my garage for an entire weekend. Did they make a difference?

Theyll start Saturday morning. MBRP, I believe. I don’t know much about em. It’s his car. I’ll report back as soon as I know more, for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
My son got the headers installed this weekend. He has full exhaust on the car now. MBRP, full exhaust with the race mufflers. Pretty good sounding exhaust. It’s a little loud for me, but he’s a 23 year old kid. He likes it. Woke the car up a little more. We also updated the computer to account for them. So far he’s done coil overs, intake and full exhaust. It’s a fun car to drive.
6F44B5B7-AAEF-4961-98FA-CDDDB3144494.png

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys have to have a custom tune made to compensate for the headers? We keep having a check engine light coming on for the 02 sensors. I used our sct scan tool and added for headers but still keeps coming on.