Anyone Into Drivers Education?

• Sponsors (?)

My two sons, a daughter-in-law and myself are taking our '05 GTs to a Porsche Club of North America driving school in two weeks- at Beaver Run Raceway near Pittsburgh.

6 hours over two days- about 50% of it on a 2 mile roadcourse with instructors.
We are supposed to be able to go as fast as we want- subject to some rules-no passing except on the straights, and then with a signal from the car being passed. They tell me we should be able to get to 120-130 MPH or so. Of course it's all really about setting up the turns, and smoothness, and should make us better drivers. We are all pretty stoked about it!!!

A new experience- brought on by owning a Mustang. :nice:

Finally a great response!! Actually I had drivers ed with the Porsche Club at Pocono Raceway but the whole day invoLves "hurry up and wait" till you get track time. Then your on the track for ten minutes. Ten minutes seems pretty long when hittin an apex at 100 MPH

Next month several of my buddies and I will take part in a High Speed Driving class at Portland International Raceway. The training consists of classroom time, extensive course walk and several sessions on the track in my car. A club certified instructor will be in the passenger seat with me the whole time I’m on the track. This is going to ****ing rock.
rockon.gif

P.I.R. will see many big events this summer. Champ Car, American Le Mans and Baxter Historics. I’m really looking forward to hauling ass around the same track as the big boys.

We are working on getting lots of pics and video. Hopefully we’ll have a couple of in car cameras and someone set up in the chicane taking pics and video.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/default.asp

ExCon,

Yes. When I rode cycles I took the American Motorcycle Safety Training....

I am looking into attending the November 4 - 6th SVTOA On Track Performance Driving Clinic at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in Buttonwillow, CA. Costs about $300. But well worth it. You do NOT need to have a SVT to participate.

You just missed the one held at Sebring. :(...Hey Duner..are you a memeber of SVTOA? Have you ever attended any of their events?

http://www.svtoa.com/events/index.asp?steMbrTypeCode=0

My next Vacation I will be going to Vegas to attend the Derek Daly Performance Driving Acadamy. This is better than a Cruise and it will give me a absolute woodie (if at all possible..LOL ) and ExCon...the evasive action aspects of this program are taught in a BMW Z-3... LOL....BEFORE you get to get into the Formula/CHAMP car.. LOL... The $3,500 certifies you for your SCCA license.....
http://www.derekdaly.com/

All before I am 40 and too old to do this.... Oh what a dream!

Jenn

It certainly is ironic when I post a thread on EDUCATION there are hardly any responses!! Then I will post something the disagree with and I get 4 page threads about how "pointless" my threads are. Look I KNOW I'M CRAZY BUT AT LEAST I ADMIT IT. What about all the other Crackpots who truly think their posts are "Normal and Politically Correct"? You guys and girls are the BEST! What would I do without all the great people on this board trying to get me thrown off!! Now keep those insults comin now Y'hear???

ExCon said:
It certainly is ironic when I post a thread on EDUCATION there are hardly any responses!! Then I will post something the disagree with and I get 4 page threads about how "pointless" my threads are. Look I KNOW I'M CRAZY BUT AT LEAST I ADMIT IT. What about all the other Crackpots who truly think their posts are "Normal and Politically Correct"? You guys and girls are the BEST! What would I do without all the great people on this board trying to get me thrown off!! Now keep those insults comin now Y'hear???
Get your nose outta my butt excon.

You know those porsche drivers can be dangerous as well--drinking perrier; sun glinting off all the gold chains they wear and their eyesight failing due to their advancing age.

Road Atlanta has several excellent driver training programs for adults and teenagers. I went to one for Audi owners a few years ago, and one of the highlights was riding shotgun while the instructors raced thru curves 2 abreast in a 4 wheel drift. It was like getting to shoot baskets w/ Michael Jordan.

ExCon.....

Breath... Ignore what is going to provoke you and read and reply to the focused responses.... If you skipped over my response... Please read again.. :) The short answer was.. YES, Sir. I believe and participate in driver's education....

and Topless...why are you intentionally provoking him? :shrug: He asked a legitimate question and you come back with a one-line smart arse comment.....Not sure what the dynamics are between you two, but please drop it...it's starting to feel like Mustang Works around here (and that's not necessarily a good thing..) :mad:

Jennifer

I'm not provoking anyone. He enjoys it the banter even if you don't. I was commenting about a driver training program in Atlanta which is what this thread is about.

Can't we have a little fun while we discuss the very serious topic of our mustang society?

Sorry Topless, allow to extricate my nose out of your butt then.....LOL....Banter away......I guess if there was an intelligent comment pre-banter I would have thought you were not provoking and having fun during a serious discussion.

Enjoy....

Jennifer

Jenns05Stang said:
(...Hey Duner..are you a memeber of SVTOA? Have you ever attended any of their events?

http://www.svtoa.com/events/index.asp?steMbrTypeCode=0

Jenn

SVT included a one year membership to SVTOA with the purchase of my Cobra. I didn't renew it. If they had a local chapter I'd be there.

The Daly school is going to kick ass. Might be fun to hit Vegas for a little fun and some training. :D

duner said:
SVT included a one year membership to SVTOA with the purchase of my Cobra. I didn't renew it. If they had a local chapter I'd be there.

The Daly school is going to kick ass. Might be fun to hit Vegas for a little fun and some training. :D

SVTOA, is fairly few and far between, unfortunately. As for Vegas, uh huh... :nice: I am hoping for a June Bonus which should pay some of the cost....I have an IT buddy located in Vegas, so I will not have to pay for a hotel... Should be a great time.... Just have to keep the drinking down to a min. so as not to waste a $3,500 appointment at the Track. :)

Have fun at Portland...it should be a kick arse time in the 'Bra!

Jenn

This is probably one of his best posts to date!

YES....Drivers Education is way too lacking in this country! Not just for teenage drivers. Way too many adults drive like idiots these days. Take for example..in Germany you have a high cost for the liscense to begin with, take driven and written tests that are more intense than anywhere in the USA, regular re-testing, if you do stupid things (and you will get caught or reported and caught) you will have to pay high fines, loose your liscense and have to go through Drivers Ed all over again! Most of us here take driving as a right when it is a privilage!

Many of us who go to the drivers schools and/or, take motorcycle riding courses are way too few! And for the most part long haul Truckers are generally a pretty good group of drivers. Most accidents involved with trucks are caused by idiots (mini-vans, SUVs, really big SUVs and econoboxes to name a few) who need a lesson in the realities of mass and inertia! Not to mention those who try to beat trains! Let the gene pool be cleansed but in ways other than stupidity on the road!

And the number of POS's on the roads that should have been junked a long time ago....don't even get me started on that subject!

If you took most any driver from anywheree in the US and put them on the road in Europe, the gene pool would be cleansed rather quickly! I travel to Europe (mostly GE and Italy) on business regularly and would have no problems driving in GE (I tend to drive more like them or so say my GE co-workers) but would not even try to drive in Rome, IT. Way too crazy than anywhere in the US! I take a taxi, bus or train! And not even a motorcycle or scooter!

Here to all of you who take the extra effort to learn what real driving is and to excon for once penning a good subject to debate!

:cheers:

WSD, I hate to ruin my "best post yet" but I was referring to racing at the track. Its commonly called Drivers Ed but its simply a way to get on a real racetrack and drive your car at high speeds learning to hit an Apex the proper way, heel and toe, throttle control etc. Here on the Hillbilly Board most posts are about "My car does 12.3 in th Quarter Mile" They have no comprehension of what it takes to "track" a car. The TRUE meaning of performance.
Hope this straightens out my score on the posts!!

Whether I misinterpreted your post is a moot point. Drivers Ed on or off the track is a good topic. Off the track is of high importance these days, but before I ever take my GT onto a track, I would go to a school to get the most from it. This kind of training will only help people who go on the road after a day or two for fun at the track. So you still get high marks!