Anyone know how to install an airbag off switch?

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I'd like to take my daughter with me to car shows in my '95 but my rear seat is useless as the roll bar is there and poses a huge safety risk for rear passengers making my car a 2 seater. I routinely take my daughter with my in my Z06 but it has a switch for the front seat air bag and the latch system installed making her and I feel very secure. I'd love to be able to take her in my mustang but in order to do so I need a way to disarm the passenger side air bag. Years ago someone mentioned to me on here that they knew how to do it but I've long forgotten who that was. Does anyone know how to wire in an airbag switch? In addition to the main reason I want it for it'd also be nice to disarm it when no one is in the car so that in the unfortunate event of an accident I wouldn't have to replace it either.

• Sponsors (?)

Let's not give Paul any more pressure. He might sell his Mustang, and abandon us. That would be a huge knowledge loss to an already dying section of stangnet.

Kurt

Kurt, I don't have a wiring schematic nor knowledge on how the circuit is setup to start splicing in a switch. If anyone does I'd love to see it. I'm not sure it is a grounded circuit or not.

Bullitt95- If the light comes on when I have it switched off I'm not too worried, as long as it goes away when I have it on.

Ryan, that was the order in which I pulled them out of the garage and washed them. They are in the correct order for my current driving preference though... :) Off topic, I burned through 1/4 tank of fuel yesterday retuning the car and had to increase the WOT cells nearly 20% from where they were. I think I had a fuel trim active last fall when I tuned it, that is the only explanation for the variance. I logged the trims yesterday and after it warmed up they were all off. I had the AC working temporarily but I feared that both the low and high speeds on the fan were active the way I had it so I reset the parameters back to where they were.

Let's not give Paul any more pressure. He might sell his Mustang, and abandon us. That would be a huge knowledge loss to an already dying section of stangnet.

Kurt

I missed this when I posted before. Kurt, I will tell you that every time I drive the Z06 I think why am I keeping the '95, but I will admit it was fun yesterday trying to figure out my tune and what was going on with it. I will likely keep the mustang at least for the forseeable future, but I'm still undecided what direction I am going to take with it. I should put the turbo on, but I just don't know. I have this new desire to make a power, yet fuel efficient combination for the car, maybe the turbo is it, but I've been thinking unconventially lately too. I will say that since I haven't worked on the '95 much in the last few years I feel like I am forgetting a TON. Even simple things like torque specs that I used to rattle off in my sleep I find hard to remember.

I will say that since I haven't worked on the '95 much in the last few years I feel like I am forgetting a TON. Even simple things like torque specs that I used to rattle off in my sleep I find hard to remember.

You aren't kidding. I've been modifying and tuning Mustangs since I was 14 years old, so that means I've been doing this for 17 years, and I am amazed how much I forget when I'm away from it for awhile. It's always the stupid things you forget too.

I checked veryuseful.com, and I couldn't find a wiring digram on that website for the Air Bag system. Those diagrams are just the diagrams out of the Haynes manual anyway. The only thing could think of is going to the back of the air bag and tracking the wires back. There should be two wires for that airbag. Interupt either one with a switch, and it will keep it from working. The glove box is easy to remove. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out which wires go up from the harness to the air bag. You can install a little switch that hangs behind the glove box interruping that circuit. Obviously disconnect the battery whenever you are messing the air bag system.

How old are your kids now, and are they still in child seats?

Kurt

I would try to find some late model (96-04) F150 wireing dia. as IIRC they had a keyed shutoff switch. It would probably be easier to use that basic wiring setup if its close. Either put a switch or button in place of the key. Having the airbag light on when the switch is turning off the airbag is probably a good thing. You will know your airbag is off then and if someone who would otherwise need an airbag sits you will know its working.

I would try to find some late model (96-04) F150 wireing dia. as IIRC they had a keyed shutoff switch. It would probably be easier to use that basic wiring setup if its close. Either put a switch or button in place of the key. Having the airbag light on when the switch is turning off the airbag is probably a good thing. You will know your airbag is off then and if someone who would otherwise need an airbag sits you will know its working.

I know for a fact the 99 does.