Anyone removed the lock mechanism for the fuel door?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
Well, I finally got myself a Fox (see sig) and have already thought about removing the lock mechanism for the fuel door. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know I probably need to replace the solenoid for it or something, but I see it as being a PITA down the road. What do I need to remove it? Won't the fuel door need some sort of spring in it to keep it closed like fuel doors that don't have the locks on them? Thanks for any info.

• Sponsors (?)

i know people have ditched them, but i dont know what is involved in doing it. there should be a cable in the trunk/hatch area that you can use if the popper does not work.

good luck.

You can just take the two bolts out of the "catch plate" on the door itself and the pin will have nothing to catch onto anymore. No more work required. You can of course go further and remove the motor, butthen you have to come up with a seal for where it used to protrude through the area around the filler there.

My coupe doesn't even have one. But I remember my first GT. It worked when It wanted and didn't other times so I always though about trying to remove it, just never got around to it.

squeeeg said:
It is a push button in the glove box. I don't know if it was an option or a GT thing or what.

It was an option on 79-89 Mustangs.

My 5.0 has one, and i kinda like it. Of course it can be pried open if you try hard enough.

There is a release cable on the inside in case it ever jams up on you.

I had a Tempo in High School that had that lock. I hated it cause I always forgot to hit the button and had to walk back around the car and hit the damn button. So one day I loosened the little bolt that held the latching mechanism and fliped it 180 degrees and tightened the bolt back up. No more locking gas door. Much less aggrivation. :D