anyone replace the ignition lock???

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Lost all my keys since my car has been up on jackstands. Was trying to get a new ignition lock cylinder thing with a key from a junkyard, but how do i get the old one out? I read a chiltons and it said to put the key in the "run" position and stick a 1/8" pick in a hole and pull it out.....but i dont have a key lol. So i cant turn it to run. Does turning it to run only so u can "grip" the cylinder to pull it out???

I was also thinking about making a switch plate of some sort with a starter button in it. I'll have an alarm on the car. Was thinking about putting switches in for the accessories, ignition, and a push button starter. And then a switch hidden somewhere for the fuel pump for those pesky theives.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

about to tackle this today, found a new lock cylinder with a key from autozone for $16.99. Wish me luck!

For future searches on here, here are the instructions im gonna be following. Will post back with how hard it is.

Why dont you take your vin to Ford dealer and they should be able to make you a new key?

Because to have a key cut for an existing lock cylinder requires all kinds of ID at the dealer including the title, plus like $25 for the key, $15 for the key code request, and $10ish if the key can't be cut on premises. Its a huge pain in the ass, and its much cheaper to just get a new lock cylinder with supplied keys. I worked in the parts department at the local Chevy dealer this summer and plenty of idiots went through this.

Also, Ford dealers only go back 10yrs in their database for keys. This was at the 3 local Ford dealers i called. So, either they were lying or lazy, or it is true that they dont keep records for every car going back that far. We are 13 yrs out....

And $16.99 later and im back in action. Got the new cylinder and keys, followed the above directions pretty much. Although, i dont think it was necessary to do what they did. I did remove the steering wheel and plastic retainer under it, but i dont see how that helped me swap cylinders.

All you really need to do it take off the plastic "ears" with some pliers. Then use the 3/8" drill bit and drill down the old cylinder. Then you can use a screw driver to push up on where the key normally would, then u can rotate the cylinder, then push up on that pin, then it all slides out. Then in goes the new stuff, and you are done. Its pretty funny that a lock smith wanted $120+ to do what i did in 30minutes and only $16.99.:bs: And that was my first time. For a pro, its probably a 10-15 minute job! :lol:

Hope this helps people in the future!

Oh, when i was pulling the steering wheel off, one of the holes u bolt the puller into stripped out completely. Luckily i could still use the 1 bolt and get it off (although looking back i dont think i needed it off :shrug: ) but now my steering wheel has a stripped bolt hole. So do i drill it out to the next size of bolt and rethread it, or do i use it as an excuse to get a fr500 steering wheel :D????

Who has the best price on a fr500 steering wheel?

This is old, but in case someone is searching for this...

Just call a locksmith... I lost the keys to my car, had a locksmith come and make me a new one..

Took the guy all of 5 minutes and I had two shiny new keys to my car that works for everything (trunk, doors, ignition..)

I was also thinking about making a switch plate of some sort with a starter button in it. I'll have an alarm on the car. Was thinking about putting switches in for the accessories, ignition, and a push button starter. And then a switch hidden somewhere for the fuel pump for those pesky theives.

Thoughts?

I realize this was brought back from the dead, but I thought I'd chime in anyways, incase you (or someone else) were still considering this.

I installed a push button start & run-on switch (with some other security things which don't matter here) so I could be completely keyless, and I must say- there is a hell of a lot more to it than just putting in a switch and a push button. First, if you're going completely keyless you have to reroute all the wires from the ignition switch harness, which can be a PITA to figure out what is hot when. This is a LOT of current you're dealing with, and you have very little room for error, you can very easily start an electrical fire at worst and pop every fuse you have at least. That said, if you have a solid understanding of DC power it can be done, but you need a crap load of 40amp relays and a wiring diagram. I'm still trying to get mine set up properly (I have everything, but its too cold to work on it!), when I have it all done I'll throw together a writeup for future folks with this question so everyone can do it safely.
:Word:
-Michael