Anyone Replace their Ignition Tumbler?

Jan 3, 2003
MD
It's the black piece you put the key in to start your car.

This morning all my lights came on when I turned the key. but nothing happened. There has been a lot of play in the unit. I played with it for a bit and it finally started.

The dealership is saying $325 for the job. The part costs 47.24. I think that's a bit steep. Anyone else have to replace it?

• Sponsors (?)

I have in my 88. Was real simple, took the steering column shrouhd off, turned the key to a certain position and remove the screw that holds it in place. No big deal, but I don't know about the 94's.

Sounds like you need to make friends with a mechanic that has access to the shop manuals.

Stang951 said:
I have in my 88. Was real simple, took the steering column shrouhd off, turned the key to a certain position and remove the screw that holds it in place. No big deal, but I don't know about the 94's.

Sounds like you need to make friends with a mechanic that has access to the shop manuals.

Thanks,

It may be different in the 94's. I'll post it in that forum and see.

There is a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire.

Copy down you VIN number and call the Ford dealer nearest you. Tell them you want to see if the ignition switch recall for Fords & Mustangs was done on your car. They will ask for the VIN number & check it against the master database. If it isn't in the database, then you can schedule an appointment to have the switch replaced for free. The TSB is #95S28, and don't let them tell you that they don't do that anymore...

Yep I agree with jrichker, check for the recall first... The tumbler may not be your problem, all it does is work a little gear and rod that goes down to your switch.. The switch should be about half way down the column... If the rod is moving when you are turning the key then the switch has gone to hell....