Anyone riding on orange Koni STR.Ts?

Greetings all, I am in need of replacing my struts and shocks and my car is lowered and am thinking of getting the Koni STR.s package from American Muscle
or whoever has them at a good price. Was hoping for some pros/cons from anyone that has them or heard good/bad on the product?

• Sponsors (?)

I had them on my 2014 GT a few years back, they are quality dampers, I have the yellow adjustable ones on my 92. I think Maximum Motorsports has the Koni brand on sale, not sure if AM does as well?

Reactions: 1 user
I have not personally used the Koni STR.T shocks & struts, but I have helped a number of people on various forums who have said they are stiffer than OEM shocks & struts. If this is for a performance driving application, it's worth mentioning that going too low and too stiff will make the car handle worse. That can lead to understeer/oversteer when the car is pushed. Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to compensate for other mods, help get the car neutral and move the limit of traction further out.

I have not personally used the Koni STR.T shocks & struts, but I have helped a number of people on various forums who have said they are stiffer than OEM shocks & struts. If this is for a performance driving application, it's worth mentioning that going too low and too stiff will make the car handle worse. That can lead to understeer/oversteer when the car is pushed. Adjustable shocks & struts allow you to compensate for other mods, help get the car neutral and move the limit of traction further out.
if he's 'pushing' this stang it's in and out of the garage :jester:

No, It's not for any competitive performance application The struts and shocks need replacing anyway. They got beat to hell the last 4 years from driving on rocky roads here in AZ. The road grader is a welcome sight when it comes to smooth the roads. It's why I purchased an old Jeep ZJ 5,2 project. I ordered (almost) a complete suspension for the Jeep with a mild 2" lift as a better alternative to handle those roads and high water monsoon rains. I use the Mustang mostly for pleasure and to cruise around in once in a while now. But the ride is terrible, much worse then before. I'm sure even stock replacements would be a huge improvement but I read the Koni orange brand is better suited for lowered cars like mine.

Last edited:
No, It's not for any competitive performance application The struts and shocks need replacing anyway. They got beat to hell the last 4 years from driving on rocky roads here in AZ. The road grader is a welcome sight when it comes to smooth the roads. It's why I purchased an old Jeep ZJ 5,2 project. I ordered (almost) a complete suspension for the Jeep with a mild 2" lift as a better alternative to handle those roads and high water monsoon rains. I use the Mustang mostly for pleasure and to cruise around in once in a while now. But the ride is terrible, much worse then before. I'm sure even stock replacements would be a huge improvement but I read the Koni orange brand is better suited for lowered cars like mine.
What lowering springs do you have? Do you know the spring rate?

While this page doesn't list the Orange Koni's it's safe enough to assume they are for a slightly lower rate on both the top and bottom end of the range. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx

I’ve had the Koni SRT.Ts with Steeda Sport springs on my car for about 5 years and don’t have anything bad to say about them.

I have them along with Eibach pro's, i would say its a bit of a stiffer ride but not much.i have no complaints .
Screenshot_20220430-215445_Photos.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
What lowering springs do you have? Do you know the spring rate?

While this page doesn't list the Orange Koni's it's safe enough to assume they are for a slightly lower rate on both the top and bottom end of the range. https://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_struts_shocks_matching_spring_rates.aspx
I had to look through my receipts, they are the Ford Performance M-5300-C springs Front: 650 lb/in. Rear: 200-300 lb/in.. The PO had some kind of purple colored springs on it and road like crap and bottomed out alot so I swapped in the Cs and did BJ s too.

I have them along with Eibach pro's, i would say its a bit of a stiffer ride but not much.i have no complaints .
Screenshot_20220430-215445_Photos.jpg
Very nice, I'm on the look out for a Fox body if the price is right. I have a set of P heads and GT40 intake saved in my shed just in case I find a cheapy out here. This is my car now. Much more tame then my old 94 coupe but she's a good cruiser. First pic is when I picked her up in southern Missouri. It sat a little lower then and had the vertical tail lights on it. The 2nd and 3rd pics are in AZ and before I ripped the back interior out and repaired the 2 rear window motors.

Attachments

• 11846621_1667183613500792_2340607644553077747_n.jpg
    11846621_1667183613500792_2340607644553077747_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01392.JPG
    DSC01392.JPG
    591.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC01405.JPG
    DSC01405.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I run Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT autocross car with Tokico adjustable shocks & struts (now discontinued). In order to get that car to handle its best, I have the shocks & struts set at 2 out of 5 (1 being the softest). I wouldn't think of running them at 4 or 5; the ride would be too harsh and the car would understeer/oversteer easily when pushed. When my 2000 GT autocross car had a solid rear axle, I had Tokico HP (blue) non-adjustable shocks & struts on it, but they were way too stiff (and the car suffered from understeer/oversteer when pushed). I quickly realized that I needed adjustable shocks & struts. I know you aren't using your car for performance driving, but you are running relatively stiff springs on very rough roads. Adding stiffer shocks & struts won't make the car better. My advice would be to consider progressive springs that don't lower the car more than 1" (Ford Performance B springs with poly isolators) and adjustable shocks & struts. That will give you a more comfortable ride (and the ability to stiffen the car up if you want).

I would recommend looking at other springs than the FMS "C" springs if street driven comfort is what you are looking for. I had them on my car and the front end was just much too low causing some ride issues. Tried a few different shocks but ultimately it just rode WAY too rough for me. Handled very well, but every bump was just much too harsh.

Ended up swapping them out for Bullitt springs, which are the similar 600 lb rate as the FMS C springs (650lb), but sits higher. Just lifting the front end of the car up 1" improved handling dramatically.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking at other springs than the FMS "C" springs if street driven comfort is what you are looking for. I had them on my car and the front end was just much too low causing some ride issues. Tried a few different shocks but ultimately it just rode WAY too rough for me. Handled very well, but every bump was just much too harsh.

Ended up swapping them out for Bullitt springs, which are the similar 600 lb rate as the FMS C springs (650lb), but sits higher. Just lifting the front end of the car up 1" improved handling dramatically.
Yeah, I see the difference in spring rates between the C and B springs, and read a lot of opinions on other forums too. The thing is that, when I installed them they rode so much better then the purple ones the PO had installed, and it didn't bottom out anymore. Those were just horrible. I didn't mind the ride at all and like the way it takes the curves on the winding roads out here in the mountains and hills. Especially after an alignment was done. It's just not the same anymore and when I had it up in the air to change oil and grease the FE it was easy to move the struts up and down. They're the blue non gas filled Monroes. gotta be at least 8-10 years old ( I've had the car for 7) and LOTS of miles on them. As soon as I finish the suspension work on my Jeep, I'm going to pull the trigger on the Koni's. Thanks to all you guys for the input and advice, I will update when I do the install and road test them.