anyone running a o/r h+muffler delete+resonators?

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
If so how does it sound? I have no mufflers whatsoever and have been wanting to get an o/r h pipe however i fear how loud it could be. I know resonators will tone it down but how many would i need to get it back to the decible level of a catted muffler delete system, 2, 4, 6???

• Sponsors (?)

Removing the cats, be it by X or H pipe, it will make it MUCH louder!!!!! You should only need 1 pair of resonators to tame the sound. There are numerous people on here that have added resonators and might chime in here as to what and where.

Well, it's not the same set-up as yours but it will give you an idea. I initially installed the O/R H-Pipe with the Flowmasters and I can tell you it was terribly raspy, trumpeted, and it was pretty darn loud. I did much searching and ended up installing some resonators. You be the judge, but I'm now very happy with the sound/power.

Outside the car

Inside the car

I just removed a BBK off-road H pipe with no cats from an 88 Saleen Mustang. Before removal of the Off-road H pipe for ****s and giggles the car was set up and 2 pulls made on a chassis dyno. Immediately after the re-installation of the stock original H pipe with the factory cats we again ran the car full 2 pulls on the same chassis dyno.

The result of this same day test with the same car with the only change being the H Pipe was an idicated 2 horsepower GAIN and a 15 lb/ft INCREASE in torque with the FACTORY H pipe with cats re-installed back on the car OVER the BBK Off-road H pipe with no cats. The same cat back flowmaster exhaust system was used in both cases.

Why would you want to ditch the factory H pipe for an off-road H pipe?

For that reason, removing the cats is supposed to increase exhuast flo thus increasing hp?? Claims are 8-10hp...hmm thats interesting though.
Posted via Mobile Device

For that reason, removing the cats is supposed to increase exhuast flo thus increasing hp?? Claims are 8-10hp...hmm thats interesting though.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I alway had heard also though not necessarily so!

This 88 Saleen had a competely mechanically stock engine with only addition being BBK headers which were installed when the BBK offroad H pipe was installed. The BBK headers remained with the re-installation of the stock H pipe with cats AND with the small increase in HP and torque.

I ran just the M-80s for a while with LTs and an O/R-H. Loud as all hell, I mean seriously loud. Lots of drone on the freeway (from 2200-2800 rpm). I put the stock mufflers back on, so it was M-80s into the stock mufflers, sounds good but too quiet for my tastes. Now I have some flowmaster 40s, sounds really good, but still a little quiet, though insane amounts of rumble and bass.
Dan