Anyone seen a Tuner Switch like this??

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Its a tuner switch for my new cobra's tunes. It has 3 settings: 0, 1 and 2. And it looks like it goes down into my ECU.... But at the same time it also looks like its a phone jack and could plug into a laptop. It is currently set to 1. Supposedly thats the cobra's tune. 0 is stock and "2" is for 100+ Octane. So it stays on 1.

The kid that sold me the car said its from SCT (he didn't install it in the car though, it was there when HE bought the car too). So I dont know much about this. Anyone seen this before? Or know what it is?

I was never given, nor saw any dyno sheets for this cobra when I bought it. It drives like a champ and feels like its tuned...but i'll be dyno tuning it in a month anyway before I really open the car up on the road and track.

Now.....Can a tuner plug this into their laptop to tune my car, by chance? Or will I still need to bring an SCT X-Cal2 when I want a dyno tune? Anyone know anything about this??

View attachment 364589

View attachment 364591

• Sponsors (?)

LOL he just left it like that? Mine is an SCT 4 bank (0,1,2,3) but its the same thing. Its SUPPOSED to be installed like this. Very bottom of the pic you can see it. I believe I got the cover over on MD.

SP_A0007.jpg

SP_A0010.jpg

And no I dont think you can link into it. I know tim just pulled the chip that the wire attaches to out of the EEC and reflashed it. You cant use a X cal with it unless you pull the ship I believe....or run it on the "stock" setting. The X cal flashes the factory tune...the chip just manipulates the stock signal/settings into whatever you want to happen. I love mine.

Attachments

• SP_A0007.jpg
    SP_A0007.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • SP_A0010.jpg
    SP_A0010.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 35
Ok so If I buy an SCT X-Cal 2.....the tuner will dyno tune the car with the Xcal? What happens with his little switch then? Do I have to uninstall it or someting?

I just want to know what the hell do I do with this thing when I want to get the car tuned...never seen anything like this before

Yep, no need for an X cal at all. It will drive up the cost ALOT for a tune. I got mine dyno tuned by Tim for $450. They gave me like $125 off for having the chip already.
Just get an aeroforce tech gauge if you want to log parameteres (IAT/2, fuel pump duty, injector duty, fuel pressure, ect ect) and clear codes. Our chip offers no such functions so it was a must for me. Besides now all the information is ALWAYS right infront of me...a handheld device would just be annoying to me while im trying to drive.

Heh my P0190 code went off AGAIN a few hours ago and while DRIVING down the road (65) I checked it and then cleared it in a matter of about 20-30 seconds. It was my first time to actually do it too LOL....probably should have stopped but it was simple. Good luck and PM me if you want info about that gauge...ill set you up with a shop in Austin where I bought mine.

Yep, no need for an X cal at all. It will drive up the cost ALOT for a tune. I got mine dyno tuned by Tim for $450. They gave me like $125 off for having the chip already.
Just get an aeroforce tech gauge if you want to log parameteres (IAT/2, fuel pump duty, injector duty, fuel pressure, ect ect) and clear codes. Our chip offers no such functions so it was a must for me. Besides now all the information is ALWAYS right infront of me...a handheld device would just be annoying to me while im trying to drive.

Heh my P0190 code went off AGAIN a few hours ago and while DRIVING down the road (65) I checked it and then cleared it in a matter of about 20-30 seconds. It was my first time to actually do it too LOL....probably should have stopped but it was simple. Good luck and PM me if you want info about that gauge...ill set you up with a shop in Austin where I bought mine.

Not quite sure what guage you're talking about :shrug:

^Yep but WAY WAY cheaper, and it doesnt have to be hanging on your windshield (and falling off)...I like the livewire but I also dont think it monitors ALL the functions, just the "important" ones. Since the aeroforce fits in my A piller gauge and is less than half the price, and can do the same stuff (- the tuning which I dont need) I was sold :D