Anyone try this setup?

• Sponsors (?)

Holy crap that is expensive. It definately looks interesting. Its not REALLY that expensive when you think about what you are geting considering the price Flaming River charges for their box.

I wonder what car the steering box is out of. If you could figure out what car the box came out of you could put a kit like this together yourself without too much trouble. Hardest thing to figure out would be the pitman arm, I think. I have an entire spare PS setup and I have manual steering on my car ATM. If I could get a box like that I'd provably put the PS back on.

Considering what it cost just to have all of my power steering components rebuilt, it's probably worth the cost. Nice to have the integral box, but I'm guessing it would be larger than the non-integral steering box which may result in exhaust header fitment problems.

Ive heared its a toyota corolla box, on another forum a member emailed the buyer of the first one and he will post results in a month or two.

What forum ? I'd love to check it out. If its a known part then I could make this stuff myself EASILY. Just gota figure out which universal joint to use =-)

I am curious as to where this ither forum is and what the fitment would be like. I would much rather go this route then a rack conversion myself. This is a way cheaper and I think will work better with the stock geometry.

Got any years that the parts might have come off of ?

80's to mid 90's, pretty sure they're all the same for the conquest and the pickup. i haven't actually tried this so i don't really know for sure. i wish i'd known about this 10 years ago though, one of my friends had 2 of the starions and a couple d-50's as well. i had a 90 mitsu p.u. but it was manual steering so i never even bothered to look at the box in it, but it was a box and not a rack

just checked www.partsamerica.com and looked up a 1990 dodge D-50 pickup for a power steering gearbox and it looks pretty much identical to this one, the pitman arm for a 4wd looks pretty close too. actually, just looked again and the bottom hole on the ebay one is lower than on the D-50 box, so the D-50 box may actually work better, hell it might even bolt right up.

ops, nope the 1990 D-50 won't work, but an 86 conquest will. i was looking at both of them and they are like a mirror image of each other, the D-50 is actually front steer. i swear my mitsu was rear steer though, maybe because it was manual steer and not power steer, IDK.

anyway, the conquest box looks almost perfect.

A-1 Cardone p/n 278450

Here is the pic I "stole" from the rockauto website:

Attachments

• steering box.jpeg
    steering box.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 173
I'm not seeing it listed under Dodge for some reason. Oh well, doesn't matter now since you said the steering box is facing the wrong way. I wonder if there are any of these starion cars around in the junk yards ?

it was on vmf forum under mod and custom forum, a dodge d-50 is a mitsubishi truck.

I would think it would work with a stock ford pump as well, you would just have to get hoses made.

For me, I'd have custom hoses made anyways as I'm going to put in a hydroboost unit if I go to power steering. Custom hoses really are not that expensive. The main consideration is the amount of PSI the system needs. You can usually take care of this with a restrictor.