Anyone use manual as daily driver?

downsouthman1 said:
Out of the 4 cars I've had, 3 in my name, 3 were manual. I've commuted in Austin, TX for 2 years back & forth to where I live in a manual. That car was slow, so I hated having a manual. I live in the DFW Metroplex for 2 years w/ a Manual 2K GT for 1.5 years of that time & it didn't bother me. It has been said already but it's much easier in traffic w/ a manual IMHO because when you need to decelarate you just take your feet off all the pedals. In an auto you don't hit the clutch, but you hit the brake. If you have to hit a pedal anyway, why not have it be a clutch, so you can have fun driving? From the autos I've driven in my life I've learned that in the Auto I'd be on the brake & in the manual I'd be on the clutch to downshift, then nothing. So I decided that since with either car I need one pedal or the other, I chose the standard. Much more fun than a Boromatic.
I agree. The only thing that I would do is not take a manual or automatic, rather a ratchet shifter. I know it's an auto tranny but you need to shift on your own... all the benefits of both...

• Sponsors (?)

Manual automatics dont have a clutch and that is really where the manual give you the extra control. With some skill you can manipulate the clutch to make the car do whatever you want. I am on my third car and it was an auto when i got it, now it is a manual, And my family owns 8 cars of which 7 are manuals. I was raised on a manual and i will always prefer them, even in traffic i dont mind them. Much more fun, better milage and life.

Dr.

It's not that simple. Besides, you forgot using your left leg.

What maintenance costs? I haven't had any.

Burn more gas? Marginal difference, if any.

More control? That's the steering wheel and your brain.

But I know what you meant after having driven a manual for some 36 years. It's not really a question of control; it's more of involmrnt.

Dang, but those tiptronics/slap shifts are nice.

65conv50 said:
Manual vs automatic difference boils down to this: Why should I burn extra gas, increase maintenance costs, give up some of my car control, and make driving less fun.... just to keep from moving my right wrist a few inches every once in a while????????

I burn more gas with a manual because I stay in the gear longer so I can hear that beautiful V8 rumble.:D

THe only reason some manuals do better on gas is because they have extra gears. That should change in the next few years, more 6 speed autos are coming out, DC even has a 7 speed.

Manuals have more maintenance costs, clutchs to replace, syncros that go bad.

Z28x said:
I burn more gas with a manual because I stay in the gear longer so I can hear that beautiful V8 rumble.:D
Especially with the crappy shifters Ford has been putting in the stang. my synchros are going south. And I don't race at all.

Hopefully, i'll always be using manuals. I like to have full control over the shifting. Besides, I usually panic when I drive an automatic, because i'm always looking for the clutch pedal and shifter. I sometimes forget to put it in "park" as well, because i'm used to leaving it in 1st when I shut it off.

Z28x said:

THe only reason some manuals do better on gas is because they have extra gears. That should change in the next few years, more 6 speed autos are coming out, DC even has a 7 speed.

Wrong. Manuals have a direct mechanical connection between the engine and the wheels, which will always be more efficient. At any gear ratio. Manuals give you the option of burning more gas or less depending on your shifting habits.

Also wrong on clutches. If you drive it hard, you will replace a modern clutch every 150,000 or so. (My last replacement, in a Firebird, was at 178,000)Very few automatic transmissions will last that long. Clutches are easy to replace and cost a fraction of what an automatic does. (And an automatic has clutches, many of them, that are VERY expensive to replace.) NO WAY is maintenance more on a manual!! I have never seen synchros go out in a trans that wasn't abused, and I usually put well over 200,000 on a car before I trade it (and typically went through 3 automatic transmissions before I learned to stop buying the dam**ed things).

I drive a manual everyday. 66 fastback with a 5 speed. It's built moderately high performance and the auto is the least of my daily driving problems. My next car will likely be a truck, LIGHTNING. Obviously that will be an auto. That said I much prefer the stick.

My truck is a manual and it's my daily driver (even though I have bad knees...I love it more than auto) Unfortunately my new mustang will be purchased with auto so my wife can drive it too. She absolutely refuses to learn how to drive a standard and because she is paying for the car as well she has insisted that it be auto. I don't mind since I will keep this car a very long time and if my knees get worst I still we be able to enjoy it.

I have owned 23 cars in my lifetime and #2 to #8 were all standard then I started to buy auto. My last 2 beater trucks 97 Sierra/98 S10 (one I still have, 98 S10) have been standard.

yyc95gts said:
I prefer a manual. More fun , more control,and easier on the brakes. I find a manual better in snow too,especially when stopping.With the clutch in, the brakes aren't fighting the engine ,leading to shorter stops.

Agreed!! Manual is the ONLY way to go if you're driving in snow. (Which I don't have to do anymore since I moved from the Tennessee mountains. Glad to be out of that part, although I do miss spring and summer in the mountains.)

Manual is better? Ok, but what about..............

Ok, I'm getting all the messages about how a manual is "way" better then an automatic, but after reading more and more on the 05 Mustang, I’m wondering how this 5 speed automatic is going to be. Like some others here, my wife isn’t crazy about driving a stick :bang: and it’s been a long time since I have driven one in a Chicago winter (which if you don’t know, really s*%s). Anyone know anything about this new automatic? :spot:

i drive my 100hp saturn 5spd through 30 miles of LA traffic each weekday. in that car an automatic would be nicer, but there's no way i can get an auto GT. it just wouldn't seem right.