anything else i should look for?

Well pulled my motor out b/c of the oil pump/shaft was supposly a cause for the problem since my oil psi was jumping and stoped. But I want to make sure it wasn't anything else also when i put it back in. The rotatying assembly seems to be fine there some grains of metal shavings but nothing to be worried about. But is there a way i can check the lifters? or any other ideas i should check for? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the bolts you used were torque-to-yield, they can't be reused. It's easy and relatively cheap to use replacement ARP head bolts. Also, how many miles on the rotating assembly? If there's any question at all about the integrity of the bits (bearings, rings, etc.) now's the time to do something about it.

What's up with the pump? What did you find? Any significant amount of 'grains of metal shavings' showing up is not a good thing. I'd investigate further - did something with the pump get ground up?

Michael Yount said:
If the bolts you used were torque-to-yield, they can't be reused. It's easy and relatively cheap to use replacement ARP head bolts. Also, how many miles on the rotating assembly? If there's any question at all about the integrity of the bits (bearings, rings, etc.) now's the time to do something about it.

What's up with the pump? What did you find? Any significant amount of 'grains of metal shavings' showing up is not a good thing. I'd investigate further - did something with the pump get ground up?

Yea ill prob just buy arp head studs. But off the topic ? he was telling me to mild my heads to 20thousands would you think its worth it, if it was around 100 dollars or so until i get the afrs which prob just got pushed back by a while.

But back on the topic the bottem end has ~74k miles on it he came over today to check it out since i told him about the metal shavings (almost gold dust like) and said that was one of the cleanest stock assembly hes seen. He said it could be the thrust bearings thats making the shavings but he cant find anything wrong with anything.

The pump didn't seem to be damage as far as i could tell i opened it up and didn't see anything where it got tore up. The shaft after further investigation was stripped at the end.

Cutting the heads will raise the compression a bit; but then you'll also have to check manifold alignment - and the manifold may have to be cut to fit -- which could mean a problem with other heads down the road. I'd just have have 'em do a 'clean up' cut (a few thousandths) to be sure the surface is flat/true.