Anything else? Re: Replacing manual transmission with automatic in 2001 Mustang GT

stangg01

Mar 17, 2006
I'm replacing my 5spd manual transmission(TR3650) with an automatic(4R70W) in my 2001 Mustang GT. To accomplish this I believe I need the following:

1) To replace my EEC(car computer) with one from an automatic. Catch codes NUX1 or NUX2.
2) A 4R70W transmission complete with wire harness, dip stick tube, new slip yoke(automatics are different from manuals), and shifter assembly.
3) Transmission rebuilt with a quality rebuild kit including Alto Red Eagle clutches, new servos, bands, etc..
4) Torque converter with 300-500 higher than stock stall speed. I plan to keep my rear gears stock ratio because gas milage matters.
5) TransGo shift kit
6) B&M transmission cooler rated at 38,000 GVW
7) Predator Tunes (after 500 miles break-in) to adjust shifting to my preferences.

Anything else???

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea why you sould keep 3.27's with an auto and a stall.

you just want a slower car than you have now? first on that tranny is 2.84 and overdrive is still .7 you could easily run 3.73's without taking real big milage hit. I mean the tranny you have now has a 3.38 first gear so it is going to be hard to come out of the hole as hard IMO you need a lower gear ratio in the rear.

The reasons for the swap are many. Some of the bigger ones are:
I love shifting most of the time, but after working 10 hours then driving in heavy traffic, isn't fun.
My current transmission needs to be rebuilt($1,000 for the rebuild kit delivered).
A swap to a TKO will cost about the same as a swap to an auto.

I am considering switching my rear gears with 3.73 but it may be awhile. From other threads I got the impression that a higher stall would compensate a little for the smaller 1st gear(2.84).

okay as long as 1/4 mile time is not the reason for the swap I say go for it. I know what you mean about stop and go. it blows in a stick sometimes. then again that is why I am still a hillbilly. I hate traffic and sometimes people in general. ha ha.

I was just trying to point out that even with the stall you may take a bit of a performance hit. stall help you get up in the r's quicker but the rear gear will help with that. I just know stock vs stock the 5 speed felt stronger than the auto by a good margin but with gears and stall you could proably spank a stock 5 speed.