Anything I should worry about buying a Predator used?

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
Hello everyone...just a quick question. I have a chance to get a used Predator from a guy in my Mustang club at a great price. As long as he has pulled the tune off of it and reset the tuner...are there any risks with buying a used one compared to a new one? Are there any differences between the model he has that is probably 1 1/2-2 years old compared to a new one right now? It seems like a great chance to pick one up. BTW...I want the Diablo because there are two or three tuners in Denver that I know of and they all use Diablosport. Just looking for opinions on buying to used. The guy sold his car around Christmas and has no use for it any more... Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

As long as is it is the right model Predator. I beleive you need model 7146. DO NOT use one that isnt meant for your car!!!

I bought one used and it works fine. The guy before me owned a Mach 1 and it works well on my GT. It just came with a "canned" tune from RPM outlet.

Also you can download updates from Diablosports website if its an old model I beleive.

Yeah...it is the right one. He had an '03 GT that he used it on. Besides his word...how can I make sure that it has been "un-married" from his old Stang? Can I turn it on and tell from any messages, etc? Thanks for all of your help! :nice:

Thanks TP. I'll have to check it out when I go to pick it up. TP or Burning, what else do I absolutely need to make sure is with it in order to make it useable? Or do I just need the tuner itself? I just wasn't sure what would have come with it from the factory that may be "missing" now if anything. Any cables for computer connection, software etc? Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it.

A computer interface cable and a 12V power supply are useful to have with it for things like datalogging and custom tunes, but these items are not included with a new Predator. Both are readily available from diablo or from Radio Shack. The OBD II interface cable however is physically hardwired to the Predator, so you can use the tuner without buying anything extra if you so choose.

Personally, I would have no qualms about buying a used tuner.

Agreed.

If he didnt buy the PC cable or anything then the OBD-II cable is attached to the Predator like TP said.

If he has instructions ask for those also, it explains modifying the tune pretty well in there. If he doesnt, you can get them online from their website.

Just make sure you fill the tank with 93 octane before you install the tune, and make sure there is little lower octane gas left in the tank when you do fill it up.

Also, in my case I had to jump start the car after I installed it. My battery sucks, so if yours does also be prepared for that possiblity.