AOD has no overdrive

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
So I bought another Fox yesterday and on the drive home (all highway) I was thinking the car had a tall rear gear but after hitting the back roads I realized it wasnt going into 4th. Checked the TV cable and its neutral, no slack and no tension. Car shifts gears around 4800 but it does changes kinda firm. I could just be used to 4R70Ws though.
Anyway, today when cold the car suprised me by going into 4th for the first few miles of my drive. Didnt slip and engauged solidly. I rolled on a few times to downshift and it went into third great and then back into OD when off the gas and cruising.
Accelerating out of a corner it downshifted and wouldnt go into OD again.

I am thinking 3-4 shift valve. Am I on the right track?

I assume that would require VB being pulled and cleaning that valve?

• Sponsors (?)

My suggestion would be first, go see a physciatrist because these transmissions will turn you into a mental case. When you start with shifting problems there is no end in site as far as fixing the problem, get a c4 trans and save yourself a ton of money or enter the twilight zone and try to fix the lemon aod.:rlaugh:

It's not the valve body, it's the classic burnt, worn out Overdrive band. The band is so worn, the overdrive doesn't engage, and in your case, only sometimes.

You'll have to remove the trans to replace this, and every shop or mechanic will tell you that if your going in to replace that, you might as well do a full rebuild. IMO, I would.

So like the post said above, your gonna spend some more cash. Hope you didn't pay a lot for the car.

Drive it with 3 gears for now while you save up for a rebuild, a C4 or 5spd conversion.

Good Luck!

I bought this Fox to fix some issues, clean it up and resell. Unfortunatly the trans issue will take a big hit off the cars value. Id say a good $800-$1000. Too bad I am so tapped right now cause there are a couple AODs in good shape near me for $250-$300.

I figured if the band was worn that the trans would slip when in 4th and also that if I did the 1D1 shuffle the car wouldnt engine brake in second. It does engine brake and when 4th works it dont slip.