AOD installed!

Lower Arm and shifter cable

Hi CobraII351 and all site guys!

I´ve my MII sitting for a while waitinf to be fixed I finally decide to change my C4 for a AOD, I got one from a 91 grand marquis already rebuild and overhauled last week , the car its going to full restoration and to be upgraded for a better performance. I know this will not be easy neither cheap but i finally think it will pay back when driving it.

I´m curios about wich Fox Model did you get the shifter arm and shifter cable to make the AOD shift ?

Any comment and help will be welcome!

Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

The transmission arm I used was out of a 87 mustang. The cable and the shifter pieces I used were out of an 84-85 mustang. I'm not sure what the motor and trans of that mustang were as it was already gone. The piece I bolted under the tunnel to the shifter bolts was originally connected to the FOX shifter. I took the arm off the fox shifter and it replaced the Mustang II arm out of the shifter housing. I had to make part of the braket that hold the lower part of the cable to the transmission. The main part of the bracket was off a 93 tbird transmission, it was the tbird shifter cable bracket. I modified the small metal bracket that was part of the of the Mustang shifter cable.

You will need to thump the upper portion of the transmission tunnel to get the bigger bell to fit.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Tim

Here are the modified headers and everything in is final place. I couldn't get things to fit with the Aluminum pan so I went tback to a stock pan with a drain installed.

IM003039s.jpg

IM003040s.jpg

IM003041s.jpg

IM003045s.jpg

IM003046s.jpg

Tim
Tim, I know this is a really old thread but I also am putting an AOD in my II and would love to know more about which headers you used and where you had to mod them to make them fit in place around the AOD!

Wow, It's been a long time since I've been here and too my surprise someone dragged this thread out of the depths. :) I used Heddman hedders. Are you installing behind a 302 or 351w? My install was behind a Windsor so I already had some extra width which helped. But the extra height hurt. I originally extended all the tubes an inch for the extra deck height, and had them working with a C4. When I did the AOD I had to got a little lower on the driver side especially. and the were a few mods close to the collector on the passenger side. I'm fairly sure I lost all the pictures in a hard drive failure. but I will go looking.