AOD Issues...Not shifting correctly and no 3rd gear

91StangGT5.0

Oct 21, 2009
My AOD transmission is shifting sort of weirdly if at all. When I have it in Drive it seems like it shifts to 2nd at 2k rpms if driving normal, but kinda stutters for a split second (maybe shifting into 3rd too?) and the rpms don't drop just stays at 2k. If I'm shifting manually, it will shift fine into second (a little weirdly but rpms drop normally). When I'm in Drive waiting for it to shift into third at about 25-30 miles an hour, 3rd is non-existent. If I'm shifting manually (not doing 1-d-1 shuffle) I still do not get third. I've been working and looking into this issue for almost 4 days now and can't seem to nail the issue down. I've driven it around the block (less than a mile), checked the tranny fluid (normal red color, smells good), Checked TV Cable (seems kinda wacky as it has 4 markings made by a blade possibly noting mins, mid, and max, and the black sleeve that the block locks into slides around, the block stays put but sleeve moves; when I open and close the throttle body I hear a delayed noise coming from behind the engine when throttle plate is brought back to closed). The transmission doesn't seem like it's slipping. What are symptoms of a TV Cable being set too high and too low? Could the two piece input shaft be shot? Torque Converter going or gone bad? Valve body issue/sticking? Governor sticking/bad? Also, will a car sitting for about 3-4 months during the winter months (Dec-Late Feb) cause shifting or other transmission issues?

Thanks for all the help!

• Sponsors (?)

aod spelled backwards, DOA (dead on arrival)

Get a c4 transmission, the aod transmission is an engineered disaster, i ought to know i had one, don't spend a dime on this trans, buy a performance automatic c4 with a non lock up converter, warranteed for life and forget overdrive.

My AOD transmission is shifting sort of weirdly if at all. When I have it in Drive it seems like it shifts to 2nd at 2k rpms if driving normal, but kinda stutters for a split second (maybe shifting into 3rd too?) and the rpms don't drop just stays at 2k. If I'm shifting manually, it will shift fine into second (a little weirdly but rpms drop normally). When I'm in Drive waiting for it to shift into third at about 25-30 miles an hour, 3rd is non-existent. If I'm shifting manually (not doing 1-d-1 shuffle) I still do not get third. I've been working and looking into this issue for almost 4 days now and can't seem to nail the issue down. I've driven it around the block (less than a mile), checked the tranny fluid (normal red color, smells good), Checked TV Cable (seems kinda wacky as it has 4 markings made by a blade possibly noting mins, mid, and max, and the black sleeve that the block locks into slides around, the block stays put but sleeve moves; when I open and close the throttle body I hear a delayed noise coming from behind the engine when throttle plate is brought back to closed). The transmission doesn't seem like it's slipping. What are symptoms of a TV Cable being set too high and too low? Could the two piece input shaft be shot? Torque Converter going or gone bad? Valve body issue/sticking? Governor sticking/bad? Also, will a car sitting for about 3-4 months during the winter months (Dec-Late Feb) cause shifting or other transmission issues?

Thanks for all the help!

UPDATE:

YouTube - Ford AOD TV cable adjustment

I've done this and still shifts the same....note pic below. That's what it looks like. Does this look about right? Too high? Too low?

IMG_0322.jpg
(With this setting note there is no exposed cable at the end of the rightmost part of the black sleeve. Is this right? Set too high?)

I've also adjusted according to the link below (above the next pic)...Still the same issue. There is NO difference in performance from either adjustment. Too high? Too Low?

Ford AOD Transmission

IMG_0320.jpg
(With this setting note the exposed cable at the end oft he rightmost part of the black sleeve. When throttle is pressed it doesn't hit the end piece to pull the TV cable..so it ends up pulling it a bit delayed. Can you see what I mean? Is this normal?)

Is my tv cable stretched out/worn out

The correct way is to disconnect throttle valve cable at throttle arm, loosen the throttle valve cable block so it slides freely on plastic end piece, have someone open the throttle full max at throttle body by pushing accelerator to the floor, then pull the wire end of throttle valve cable with pliers so that your pulling the trans lever and throttle valve cable fully open and line up clevis on throttle valve cable block with hole on throttle arm, both at full wide open and lock clevis block, once clevis is locked, then release throttle or remove foot from pedal. This way both throttle body butterfly and trans arm open at the same time and come to fully open at the same time. If you have too much preload on the throttle valve cable, your throttle body butterfly will not fully open and to much slack on throttle valve cable, you will have low pressure.

The correct way is to disconnect throttle valve cable at throttle arm, loosen the throttle valve cable block so it slides freely on plastic end piece, have someone open the throttle full max at throttle body by pushing accelerator to the floor, then pull the wire end of throttle valve cable with pliers so that your pulling the trans lever and throttle valve cable fully open and line up clevis on throttle valve cable block with hole on throttle arm, both at full wide open and lock clevis block, once clevis is locked, then release throttle or remove foot from pedal. This way both throttle body butterfly and trans arm open at the same time and come to fully open at the same time. If you have too much preload on the throttle valve cable, your throttle body butterfly will not fully open and to much slack on throttle valve cable, you will have low pressure.

I've done exactly that. That is what the second pic shows the result of and why I though my cable might be worn or stretched out. The plastic isn't up on the silver end piece of the cable, so when the throttle is pressed there will be a delay in hitting the silver cable piece, thus not pulling the tv cable until then...Those cut markings were made from one of the previous owners of the mustang. I've tried even setting to those...and no dice.

Have you checked for full range of motion at the trans lever? Can you track down the noise you're hearing at the back of the trans? As long as the plastic bracket is attached to the throttle lever it should still shift, maybe early or late but it should still shift. Normally the only time the TV cable causes actual missed shifts is when the plastic bracket breaks and comes loose from the throttle lever. Mike

Have you checked for full range of motion at the trans lever? Can you track down the noise you're hearing at the back of the trans? As long as the plastic bracket is attached to the throttle lever it should still shift, maybe early or late but it should still shift. Normally the only time the TV cable causes actual missed shifts is when the plastic bracket breaks and comes loose from the throttle lever. Mike

What do you mean by full range motion? If it reaches WOT? If that's the question, then yes it does. I only hear the delayed clunk-like noise when the throttle is brought back to closed. The engine isn't on when I do this nor is it anything with the engine or transmission. I think it's the cable or quite possibly the lever on the transmission side of the tv cable...but I dunno. I haven't been able to track it down. I changed out the plastic bushing with the brass bushing with cotter pin. My question is if its suppose to be able to wiggle when put in. It seems to be in solid, but just is able to slightly wiggle. Dunno if that throws anything off.

Well, what I meant was can you watch the lever on the trans and have someone sit in the car and floor it with the engine off to see if the cable is moving the lever on the trans. It seems like you have the adjustment correct up top so I was thinking maybe something at the trans. Mike

The delayed clunk noise is the gas pedal. Go to click click racing forum and tell SILVERFOX all your problems and get your check book out, these "aod" transmissions are money pits.

no matter which setting I do. I cannot shift out of 1st gear in D or or OD. I can get into 2nd all day with it manual from 1 to D. Just nothing further than 2nd when shifting manually. Maybe a 1-D-1 Shuffle to see if I can get third manually? just to see if it's even there or already toast.