aod problem, lock up???

roan65

May 17, 2003
Wasilla Alaska
I have a 65 mustang that I put in a 5.0 and AOD package. I had my AOD rebuilt awhile back, and I have had nothing but problems with the rebuilder and the tranny. I took it to another tranny shop and at least they new how to set the TV cable. However it still has issues, and I am tired of taking it to someone who has no idea! I have taken it upon myself to diagnose and fix it!

Here is the deal. When on deceleration there is a bit of what I would call a shutter. it almost feels like it is trying to downshift. however downshifting seems to work fine, as well as upshifts. The other day I came to a stop sign and the car dies! It feels as if the torque converter is locked?? I put it in park, restart, back to drive and it dies again. Now I restart and just drop it to drive to get it going. I turn around to head home. It acts up again at the next stop light. I get back home and it acts fine??? WTF??

I am really illiterate when it comes to auto trannies, but here are my thoughts:
I know the rebuilder used a local converter shop build a stall converter for the car. I think the converter was staying locked when it was dying at the stop sign. Thinking about the "shutter" I feel on deceleration, this could be the torque converter locking/unlocking? Is this possible? What controls converter lockup on the AOD?

I am mechanically inclined but to be honest auto tranny scare me!

• Sponsors (?)