AOD problems

I recently installed a high stall converter (2000-2600) in my stock 5.0. When I go to drive it it will not shift into 2nd. I was told that the shift would be at a higher rpm due to the new converter. It usually shifts around 2K from 1st to 2nd (around 25 mph). I brought the rpm up to 3K going about 45 and it still did not shift. I was wondering if it would shift at higher rpm because I don't want to smoke the tranny. I made sure that the fluid was good and adjusted the TV cable but nothing seemed to work. I was told that the converter should click 3 times when put which I count 3 when installing it. Also when I shift from park to rev or drive it takes a sec to go into gear sometimes but not all the time. Let me know what I need to check for next.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly? Almost sounds like your line pressure is to low which would cause the way late upshifts and delay poppin into gear. It worked fine before the TC swap and then started doing this when you installed the new one?

I checked the fluid and after shifting and warming up I added another quart so I was wrong. I readjusted the TV cable using the middle of max and 5/16". The slipping of park into rev or drive has gone away but will not shift into second. I drove the car around the block going up to 3500 rpm and about 30 mph maybe 1/2 mile and when I got back there was a little smoke coming off the exhaust and it looks like a drop or two of tranny fluid on the exhaust. I was wondering where should the car shift. The car is stock with just an after market exhaust and the converter of course.

When you installed the TC, after you bolted the trans back up to the motor could you still wiggle the TC back and forth a little before you tightened the TC to flexplate bolts? Not quite sure what you could screw up just taking the TC out that would make it not kick into 2nd unless it wasn't seated right on the input splines. One last question- the bushing that the TV cable sticks up into on the throttle linkage, is that shot? has it been replaced with a bronze bushing instead of the crappy stock rubber ones that like to disintegrate and smoke trannys :)

**Not quite sure what you mean by this tho, did you do your TV pressure setting with a gauge?
" I readjusted the TV cable using the middle of max and 5/16" "

I was told about a website that says to push the gas all the way in and pull the tv cable and that the max. Mark the max and then 5/16" down the plastic is the min. The set the cable in the half way mark and that is the right setting. Looked at the bushing and there isnt one the person before put two washer and a clip to hold the clevis pin up. The funny thing is I never had a problem with it but I'm going to order the bronze one to make sure.

When you installed the TC, after you bolted the trans back up to the motor could you still wiggle the TC back and forth a little before you tightened the TC to flexplate bolts? Not quite sure what you could screw up just taking the TC out that would make it not kick into 2nd unless it wasn't seated right on the input splines.

If it wasn't seated right the pump would have been toasted at or before startup and the car would not be moving at all.

Whats the mileage on this transmission? What did the fluid look and smell like before you put the new converter in it?

The guy I bought it from said it only has 40-50K, the car only has 100K and the first owner rebuilt the tranny when they blew the engine. I am the third. The fluid was transparent red, I did a tranny flush and new filter when I bought it in May 07 and I have only put 3K on it since I bought it. From what I have been reading the bushing that holds the tv cable to the tv is very important on the AOD. Anybody know some places to pick them up, like autozone, checkers, etc. or do you have to order them through latemodelresto (only place I can find).

I looked closely at the TV cable (picture below) and I guess I will be buying a new one. Pulled to set it and the sucker broke.

Attachments

• 100_9788.JPG
    100_9788.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 80