AOD shifting problem and swap question

I am currently driving a 91 Thunderbird (3.8L V6, standard). (About 150K miles on it) The problem is that every now and then at a complete stop, it seems to stay in second. I remember reading something on this forum about C4s and a red dot drive or something where the C4 stays in second? Is this normal for an AOD to stay in second like this? (Or a sign of pending doom?) While shifting is old and tired, everything seems to still shift well and the same for the past few years.

I am asking, because I have feature plans for the AOD to land in a 65 mustang some day. Which leads me to the next part of my question: is a V6 AOD ok to go behind a 289? I am guessing it will need/get a rebuild after leaving the T-bird... when it can be rebuilt tougher for the 289, right? (I'll burn it up quicker stock, right?)

Lastly, lets say for one reason or another, my T-bird takes a dump tomorrow... what parts will I want to harvest for this pending swap? (And what other goodies should I grab that will still leave it rolling so it can be hauled away?)

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)