AODE Guys,

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Im to the point where Im going to put some money into the tranny. For those of you with mods to your auto., when you completed the work, shift kit, converter, cooler, etc. were you happy with the mods, or were you expecting it to be better?
Im contemplating 5spd. conv. , but dont necessarily want to, thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

All I have is a cheap cooler, B&M shift kit, and 4.10s out back (not a transmission mod, but effects transmission performance drastically).

With these, I've cut 1.8s on the juice and am very happy with my AODE. I plan on doing the converter/valve body thing next year, and expect to cut my times drastically.

i put in a rebuilt aode with stronger clutch packs and od band, edge racing 3000 rpm stall converter, shift kit, 4.10's and a bm cooler.....DO THE 5 SPEED SWAPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! automatics suck, i wish i could go back in time and swap in a tko 500, even with all that done to the tranny, its still a POS aode

Love my AODE... I broke 4 T5s before I got smart, and bought an SN95 with an auto... mine has a 3000 stall, and TransGo shift kit, with TCI internals, and an external cooler... shifts hard on the gas, soft when cruising, stays nice and cool, and is a good tranny for a decently powered car...

IMO, I wouldnt go back to a manual, until I build that Notchback that I want to road race...

Luke

The transgo kit is great, and definatly worth the money. Like Luke said, firm when on the gas (I chirp the tires with the 1-2 shift at WOT, setting 1, stock motor, stock 3:08's) and it is not harsh around town under normal driving.

I'm happy with my aode. A good performance rebuild, shift kit and a nice converter make the world of difference. Here in a couple of weeks i'm going to build a 4r70w with blue plate special clutches and the stuff from the tccoa site to go behind my 418. These damn trannys are so easy to work on.

HuebyStang94 said:
Just swapped in a strong rebuilt level 10 AODE w/ 3000 stall. Shifts VERY firm and quick and never misses. It's a world of a difference from the stock AODE. Worth every penny!
Hey,
Can you give us more info: Where you got it, who did it, exact parts, cost, etc.??

I know a few guys on here would be interested in that.

RC

That's right.. it was rebuilt with level 10 parts... I didn't do it myself, I bought it already done. You can buy the same parts much cheaper off of www.aode.com and other sites like that.

Basically a solid rebuild of new clutches, steels, mechanical diode, hardened shafts, valve body mods.....

I just had my AODE tranny rebuilt with stronger gears, kevlar clutches, shiftkit, reprogrammed, and 2800 stall convertor. I usta get beat by a kid that had a camaro and just by upgrading my tranny I can beat him by 2 car lengths.. People say manuals are better, but can a human really beat a computer? Didn't think so.

Here is a parts price break down for you guys.

Mech diode costs about $100. A kevelar clutch kit can run $400 with all of the gaskets, steels, ect. Valve body mods about $50. Then misc part and machine work about $100.

Then you can upgrade to a hardend input shaft but I have never heard of a aode/4r70w breaking one in any of the message boards. It's really the aod that have problems breaking them becuase of the 2 piece input shaft. Ford has upgraded these parts sence the aode back in 94-95 and they are alot better than they use to.