AODE NOT STRONG ENOUGH!!!

Ive had 6 AODE transmissions and i keep having them rebuilt with heavy duty stuff and i keep frying them out. I'm now on my 7th and i have basically a stock mustang, i have no idea what the hell is going on, the guy that rebuilds them says that they shouldnt be frying like they are but they do. Im stuck in a corner here guys, with a new .030 over forged motor and a blower i need a transmission that can hold this. Can the AODE be built correctly to handle this?? I have given thought about a C4 transmission but i dont know if it will match up, (probably not) what should i do?? I NEED MAJOR HELP HERE, and converting it to a manual just seems like a lot of work, time and money, PLEASE HELP!!

• Sponsors (?)

You won't find a bellhousing to bolt a C4 up to a 4.6. That doesn't mean an adapter can't be made. Maybe there are already adapters to bolt up any SBF transmission to a 4.6? That's what you'd need.

Far as killing these AOD's, something definately isn't right, they are strong tranmissions. What's happening to them that kills them? I'm guessing HEAT which causes slippage and then kills the bands and clutches.

Do you have a stock converter stall speed? Do many hard launches, by loading the engine against the converter? I'd say ensure you tranmission cooler is functioning properly (in the radiator) and definately add an external cooler. Everyone who expects performance from an automatic transmission should have extra cooling capacity.

Firstly as said, this sounds like a heat problem, you need the biggest stacked-plate external tranny cooler you can fit in front of your condenser. Run this bypassing the stock heat exchanger all together. Next either do the j-mod or have someone rework the stock valve-body for you and install a shift kit. I've done this: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=693684
and my tranny will handle what ever the F i throw at it

You won't find a bellhousing to bolt a C4 up to a 4.6. That doesn't mean an adapter can't be made. Maybe there are already adapters to bolt up any SBF transmission to a 4.6? That's what you'd need.

They've made SFI bellhousings to bolt C4's to a 4.6 for awhile now. I know of a few people that have them on there drag cars..Dave Guy who runs his car with a Cobra engine car in Renegade, Alian who has a YSI on his 96 GT has one. You can go to Performance Automatic and they have them listed on there web site for the 4.6.

TH400 from JW Performance.. under 3K for a complete setup, with converter, bellhousing, flex plate and shifter. It'll handle 1000hp, no sweat.. and it'll most likely hold up better than any C4 you put behind your motor.