Are Bearing Kits For Ring & Pinion The Same From 2003 To 2007 ??

Pushrod2Mod

Oct 24, 2009
A few years ago I bought a Bearing kit (Ford Part # FMS-M-4210-C) for a Ring & Pinion install i was going to do on my 2003 Ford Mustang GT. I no longer have the 2003 GT and now have a 2007 Mustang GT. On my '07 that I now have, it sounds like my carrier bearings are starting to hum a bit and so I was thinking about putting the bearing kit and ring & pinion that I bought a few years ago for the 2003 and install them in my 2007 GT. I tried searching for 5 hours now as to if the bearing sets from previous years would work in my 07 but I get conflicting info everywhere and there are so many bearing kit revision numbers which I have no clue what they changed or mean between kits. I always thought that the Ford 8.8 rear was the same for decades now but I just have not been able to verify if a darn bearing kit for my 03 would work in my 07 Mustang GT!!

So with all the many Ring & Pinion bearing kit numbers, revisions, and conflicting info out there, I am unable to determine if the bearing kit (FMS-M-4210-C) that I purchased for my 03 GT would work on my '07. Can anyone PLEASE tell me if the bearing kits are the same between 03 and 07 model year Mustang GT's? Researching for answers on this has been so frustrating. Thanks a LOT!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the pinion bearings are different from the kit you have to the kit listed for your model year. The 3 link rears use a higher torque rated pinion bearing albeit they are dimensionally the same as far as I recall. Personally I prefer the Ratech install kits as I've had a lot of luck with them over the years.

Oh, I didnt think of that! That would possibly explain why I see some kits that are 1986-2014 Ford 8.8 model years, while others bearing kits go up to 2004 years only for Ford 8.8 rears. Perhaps the 86-14 bearing kits already come with the higher torque ratings in the bearings which then can be used for all model years. But older kits perhaps dont have that higher rated bearing and thus cannot be used on newer models beyond 2004, and are only limited to pre-2004 older model years. If this is the case, it is starting to finally make sense!! Thanks a LOT 84Ttop!!!!!

Oh, I didnt think of that! That would possibly explain why I see some kits that are 1986-2014 Ford 8.8 model years, while others bearing kits go up to 2004 years only for Ford 8.8 rears. Perhaps the 86-14 bearing kits already come with the higher torque ratings in the bearings which then can be used for all model years. But older kits perhaps dont have that higher rated bearing and thus cannot be used on newer models beyond 2004, and are only limited to pre-2004 older model years. If this is the case, it is starting to finally make sense!! Thanks a LOT 84Ttop!!!!!
:nice: