are caster/camber plates really necessary?

96 GT JOE

Sep 30, 2004
i just got a set of bbk specific rate lowering springs (1.5 " drop i think) and was wondering how necessary cc plates are. can i get away without using them? also, do i really need to change shocks/struts?

• Sponsors (?)

I've had eibach sportlines on my 01 GT for almost three years now (about the same drop as yours, maybe 1/4" lower). I bought the cc plates but never put them on. Other people will tell you that w/o cc plates they see no unnatural tire wear whatsoever, but I don't know how that's possible. I see some over time, but nothing drastic. As long as you rotate every 5,000 and get your alignments every now and then, it shouldn't be a major problem. I actually got a 3 year unlimited alignment deal at tires plus for $90, so I get them aligned with every tire rotation.

I kept the stock struts and springs in place and never had any problems with that setup.

when you lower your car, there will be excessive negative camber. my camber was about 1.8 which was WAAAAYYY off from normal levels. after I got caster/camber plates, I'm at 1.2 now and it's been that way ever since.

Maximum Motorsports has this to say about caster/camber plates:

Q. I am going to be lowering my car. Do I need caster/camber plates?

A. In a word - yes. After lowering your Mustang, you will need to have an alignment done. Typically, there is not enough range of adjustment in the stock upper strut mount to achieve a correct alignment on a lowered car, which will result in poor tire wear and handling. MM Caster/Camber Plates allow a much wider range of adjustment than the stock upper strut mount, which makes a proper alignment possible. Additionally, MM Caster/Camber Plates add 1" of bump travel, which regains some of the suspension travel lost on lowered cars.

when you lower your car, there will be excessive negative camber. my camber was about 1.8 which was WAAAAYYY off from normal levels. after I got caster/camber plates, I'm at 1.2 now and it's been that way ever since.

Maximum Motorsports has this to say about caster/camber plates:

Q. I am going to be lowering my car. Do I need caster/camber plates?

A. In a word - yes. After lowering your Mustang, you will need to have an alignment done. Typically, there is not enough range of adjustment in the stock upper strut mount to achieve a correct alignment on a lowered car, which will result in poor tire wear and handling. MM Caster/Camber Plates allow a much wider range of adjustment than the stock upper strut mount, which makes a proper alignment possible. Additionally, MM Caster/Camber Plates add 1" of bump travel, which regains some of the suspension travel lost on lowered cars.

wow, way to go Seraphitia

looking for a job as an alignment tech???