Are E7TE pass & driver side heads the same

just4bob50

Apr 2, 2005
Pa.
I have a set of stock rebuilt heads that i want to put on, but the one heads that looks like it was the pass. has a bracket bolt broke off in it. Does it matter what side the heads go on. That bolt hole isnt needed on the rear of the drivers side head as far as i can tell. If I have to, I can have a machine shop E-Z out the bolt.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes and no.

The heads will go on either side, but typically, an accessory bolt insert goes in the front of the head so that you can mount brackets. The rear does not need them if you put the Thermactor air tubes on.

The inserts are typically a pita to change, so most people just put them on the side they were set up for.

i put mine on backwards. that was a pain. i had a friend of mine order the thermactor inserts at work. (he's a ford technician) the little plugs were too deep and i had to grind them off flush with the block to get my brackets on

The usual problem with swapping sides is the threaded hole {5/8-11 thread I think} is carboned up on the original backside, making installing new inserts a huge PITA. While you have them off and/or at the machine shop, have the original back un-inserted threads tapped out and install new inserts. Then you have it whipped regardless of what side you put them on! :nice:

bcd said:
i put mine on backwards. that was a pain. i had a friend of mine order the thermactor inserts at work. (he's a ford technician) the little plugs were too deep and i had to grind them off flush with the block to get my brackets on
Could you ask him the part number and P.M it to me please! peace

john:p

They look very very similar, but the difference (as explained already) is in the thermactor ports that are supposed to go on the back of the heads look alot like the threaded holes your accessory brackets bolt into.