ARE GTP'S WORTH SPENDING MONEY ON

I just picked up a set of gtp heads off a 98 mountaineer for $250....are they worth spending money on to have ported? I called the local race shop an they said a full port, blend, perf valve job an better spring install would run around $600...about $300 with out the port/blend work....should i just have em cleaned up an valve job or go all out? the $300 saved gets me a torqe converter! car is a cruiser that sees the track 2 or 3 times a year with basic bolt on's an stock cam, aod, 373's...thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Put the minimum into them, because when you want more power and want to sell them, they'll still be worth the $250 you paid for them.

IMO definetely not worth porting from a financial standpoint. For $850 you could find good used aluminum heads.
Only trying to save you money, since i bought a set of y's one time, put $400 into them, and then realized, they just wouldn't cut it.

i had some and didn't feel anything, then again, mine only had a little bit of massaging done to them.

just save the extra few pennies and go aluminum, you'll be glad you did.

2000xp8 said:
Put the minimum into them, because when you want more power and want to sell them, they'll still be worth the $250 you paid for them.

IMO definetely not worth porting from a financial standpoint. For $850 you could find good used aluminum heads.
+1

Buying used heads, that's a gamble too many times. You could get some good flow out of them, I would check on Thumper first though. It depends on what you want. Probally best bang for the buck on the GT40P's... wait a minute, don't you now need special headers...?

If the valves in them are good and they're otherwise in good working condition, bolt'em on and go with it. Like everyone else has said, if your end bill is going to equal anything towards 1k, you can get good used aluminum heads for that price, sometimes less. Those heads can get you in the 12s if you have a car that can use the power efficiently, but if you're shopping on a budget then they're not worth having ported....that is, unless you can port them yourself...

I have a set. I put a new valve spring kit on them and just bolted them on. Thought about porting them but in the end I would have been able to buy a good set of used aluminums. I like the Ps but I just wouldn't put a bunch of money into them.