are my cats clogged/need to be replaced?

85cleangtvert

May 19, 2005
I noticed a popping/ rattling noise in my car, which seemed to be the exhaust, I thought it was hitting something... but then I noticed my front 2 cats were glowing orange/red. I have a 88 5.0, and I have the stock h pipe set up on it, with the 4 cats. The rear ones looked normal, but the front 2 were glowing. im guessing they are bad but want to get some input... what do u guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i have noticed a power loss. i used to have a off road h pipe on it but i replaced it for the h pipe, so i could pass smog. it passed too just a couple months ago. but the h pipe i used was stock and had 108K on it and did sit outside for a while.

Sounds like you have bad cats. What caused this. Are the two glowing on the same side? If so suspect an issue with a bad plug or stuck open injector. If on both sides, figure out of the car is running rich. A restriction can cause them to get real hot as well.

i was just talking to my brother and he pointed out that I dont have any air going them. what i mean is, i have GT40 heads and the stock smog stuff doesnt hook up to the back of them, so I just have the air routed down to the h pipe, but it is after the first two cats. It is both sides that is glowing, and the ones that are closer to headers.

And watch for smoldering carpet if you HAVE to drive the car. Seriously - you can catch the interior on fire.

Jason is very right - find out why the cats clogged (if that is the case) so you dont destroy the new ones (if you put some back on).

Good luck.

had the same prob got a new exhaust system and cat back and no prob now.but mine never got so hot they glowed just hot enough u could feel it comin into the car.

If they were glowing, yes, get new cats. My old RX-7 had bad cats ..... they would glow CHERRY RED. Pretty cool at night, lol. It looked like some ricer kid with red neons! Anyway, yeah, you should have a decent lack of power as well. And I wouldn't drive it, except to the exhaust shop REALLY slow (low RPM's), because like JT said ..... they can cause a fire inside.

85cleangtvert said:
do u think they just went bad because of the age and milage? is it more common for the front two, to go first? i dont want to get new ones and mess them up.
Age often does play into it - they are a sacrificial component. Many cat manufacturers imply a 50K mile life, though most go for much longer (that spec was pertaining to having them function at or near optimal).

The front two are the first to be succepted to the effects of poor tune or contaminates - it seems to reason that they can go first.

That was my point before - figure out that you are running at decently stoich before installing new ones........

Good luck.

If you dont have the money to fix, but you need ur car still i've got the redneck solution. Take the pipe off the car, then with a rubber mallet, beat the fooey out of the problem cats intill all the junk comes out of the end. Then reinstall. Be sure to whistle will you work. Good luck.

PS this is a temporary fix