Are the shift kits worth getting?

jgressley2003

Founding Member
Sep 21, 2002
Indiana
Hey I bought a 90 LX Convertible 5.0 a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get some more power out of the thing and I'm doing so with an exhaust upgrade this weekend. Now my next question. It being an AOD it just seems to drag the car down. Are the shift kits really a good investment or not? I see three possibilities in Summit's catalog. The shift improver kit, transpak, and the transkit. Any help appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You would have to ask that, wouldn't you. To be honest, the shop that rebuilt my tranny 6 years ago had one so I had that installed along with the rebuild. I do not recall what model/part# it is. I do remember that it was less than $100.

Well I think I might go with the Transgo kit whenever I get my credit card paid down and recoupe from spending 495 bucks on new BFG KDWS tires today. This after I put about 800 dollars on my credit card for new headers, h pipe, and Flowmaster catback.

I have an 89 GT vert. Shift kits are great. If you get one set it to the most aggressive setting. I set mine to the nedium setting and I regret it. Have you canged your gears? If not get some 3:73's. the gears and install should run you approximately 500. Advance your timining to 14 or 15 degrees. These cars are set to 10 degrees from the factory. They can easily be set to 14 or 15 without any pinging.

These changes will make a huge difference to your AOD. Also remove the AIR silencer and replace your filter with a K&N.

billpo said:
I have an 89 GT vert. Shift kits are great. If you get one set it to the most aggressive setting. I set mine to the nedium setting and I regret it. Have you canged your gears? If not get some 3:73's. the gears and install should run you approximately 500. Advance your timining to 14 or 15 degrees. These cars are set to 10 degrees from the factory. They can easily be set to 14 or 15 without any pinging.

These changes will make a huge difference to your AOD. Also remove the AIR silencer and replace your filter with a K&N.

I would get gears, but I drive 20 miles one way to work. With gas being 800 million dollars a gallon I'm not even going to mess with the gears.

It's worth it. I have the transgo kit in mine. Might want to consider a higher stall converter & a trans cooler while your at it to wake up the AOD.

Also, look into subframe connectors. They are a must on a convertible. Gears are a good idea & they won't impact mileage as much as you think.

We put one in my father's '79 Dodge Warlock II a few years ago. It was definately an improvement.. it had the horrible lag between WOT 1-2 shifts.. completely gone now, and it easily barks the tires in to 2nd.. if you want it to. We put a B&M in there.. no problems.

I'm not sure why most people here seem to hate the B&M kit.. because it doesn't include a video like transgo perhaps?

My theory is that an automatic with a stall, a shift kit, and a tranny cooler is hellacious.

Definitely worth it. You probably won't be satisfied (then again, who ever is? lol) until you have all 3:

1. shift kit
2. gear
3. stall

I'm 2 out of 3 and looking at converters now. I have a Transgo set to full firm but it's too much for me while cruising. At WOT it is sweet.

I agree about the 3.73 not having a major impact on mileage. Lugging the car around town with a 2.73 combined with the AOD's tall 1st/2nd gear can't be much better for city mileage. You have to give it that much more throttle (burn more gas) to get up to speed to begin with The higher highway rpms take some getting used to but it's definitely not as bad as you might think. The gear will make a world of difference in overall pick-up, especially passing speed, but the car will still stink off the line: stock converter.

hamonkeiser said:
It's worth it. I have the transgo kit in mine. Might want to consider a higher stall converter & a trans cooler while your at it to wake up the AOD.

Also, look into subframe connectors. They are a must on a convertible. Gears are a good idea & they won't impact mileage as much as you think.

I have subframe connectors in the trunk. lol I might get them put on this weekend. Buy yeah those were the first thing I ordered well except for the K&N.