As one Stang dies, another comes to life...

notched86

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Ruckersville, VA
Well last night the '96 GT was totalled. You can see the whole thread w/ pics here.

I'm really tore up about it, I loved that car with all my heart. Well as they say...easy come, easy go. :nonono:

Inspired by the death of my old '96 GT, I set to work on the black '89 LX. I cleaned the whole car up, interior and exterior, and the '96 GT even donated its floor mats. :) I was going to wax it, but I stopped when I saw that the paint was comming off along with the wax. :D I had a pioneer head unit laying around, so I wired that up and put that in there too, along with 2 pioneer speakers in the back. It sounds great! The car hadn't been started in 9 months, but I put some Sta-bil in the gas tank, so the gas was still fresh. I charged the battery the night before, put it back in the car, and it started right up with a jump. :nice: Drove it about 50 miles today, and it rides great.

Just for $hits and giggles, my friend and I cut the muffler off right after the cat with a hack saw. We also took the airbox and filter out and put a terry towel over the intake tube. Well, there was certainly a noticeable boost in performance! And it's loud as hell! Nice and deep though, sounds quite a bit like the SRT-4. :nice: Clutch started to slip a bit after we had been driving it awhile though.

But it was all just for fun. I put the box and filter back on, and the exhaust will stay that way until I get a good exhaust for the 2.3 Turbo. The car doesn't have plates anyway, so I only drive it down the back roads. Lookin forward to the turbo swap this summer!!

heres a pic of my ghetto CD player set up. Needs a bracket, broke the plastic bracket trying to squeeze it in there. :doh:

• Sponsors (?)

notched86 said:
Exterior & Interior
That is a clean car.
Look for a rear out of an automatic car. They had 3.73's we can make that a traction-loc and you'll be set then.

By the way.....Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a vulture about the GT. I just wanted to mention it before the insurance kept it. Talk to your dad I'm very interested to know what the buy-back is and if it will have a clean title if you do that?
If so you'll be happy to know I'll bring that car back to life.

And what are you doing up at this hour? If you're usually up now you could head this way one night too.