Attn. Tri-ax owners you experience heat tranfer to shift knob with Tri-Ax? Or others?

Y2kSlvrVert

May 30, 2007
Cali/LA area
It makes sense to me to have some heat transfer to a part billet shift knob like mine. But how hot do yours get?? It was pretty hot after a 50 mile trip. Is that normal? I'm worried because shifts are rather resistant unless your in the rpm sweet-spot. They always have been though which is part of why I got the Triax. Is it possible I have issues with tranny/synchros or whatever?? Or are those the traits of the car like finding reverse?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't understand why everyone thinks that there's going to be a difference in heat transfer from one shifter to the next. From the info on their websites, it seems that the MGW and Tri-ax are made from the same type of aluminum, so why would there be any difference? Seems to be a shift knob issue to me - get one thats billet aluminum and I'd imagine it would transfer the heat from the shift tower to your hand much better than a leather wrapped one would...

My knob is leather wrapped with billet center like the Steeda and matches the other interior pieces so I may live with it. I drove down to the beach today and got used to the throws...much better. I still have the MGW shift handle that was on it before. Maybe I should go hybrid MGW/Tri-Ax!!!?:shrug:

So once we've done the shifter, what's the next step for smoother/better shifting? A shift kit? Better clutch and fork?

I have the Steeda, it's OK, but if I had to do it again, it would be Hurst,I'm just an old school kinda guy. The stock shifter has insulators that keep the handle from getting hot, the aftermarket shifters don't use these and so there's more heat transfer, it is very noticeable but the plastic Hurst shift ball takes care of it.

HIGH TEMPERATURE SILICONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not that difficult people it cost like $1.37 and makes heat and noise transfer almost ZERO with the after market shifter.

Aluminium is an excelent conductor of heat and noise. When you take away all the rubber (insulator) from the stock shifter and mount up an aluminium base plate to a transmission made of metal that gets very hot OF COURSE it going to transfer UNLESS YOU INSULATE IT SOMEHOW!!!!

it's physics plain and simple

Can someone please make a sticky in regards to heat and noise transfer with aftermarket shifters and how it can be done away with almost completely for under $5.00