Attn. Short throw shifter owners..feedback please

Y2kSlvrVert

May 30, 2007
Cali/LA area
It makes sense to me to have some heat transfer to a part billet shift knob like mine. But how hot do yours get?? It was pretty hot after a 50 mile trip. Is that normal? I'm worried because shifts are rather resistant unless your in the rpm sweet-spot. They always have been though which is part of why I got the Triax. Is it possible I have issues with tranny/synchros or whatever??

• Sponsors (?)

I've got the triax and bullit shift knob and it gets pretty hot on a long trip. Nice in the winter, sucks in the summer. I modified the isolator from the stock handle and it took care of the heat and noise, but the shift feel wasn't the same, so I took it off.

Got a Steeda Tri-Ax here with a MGW gripper shift knob. It is always cool to the touch, (unless my car has been sitting in the sun for ever and then obviously it gets hot.)

Ive got a Tri-Ax and the billet steeda shift knob and it doesnt get too hot while im driving but after running it hard and then parking it for just 5 minutes or so to run into a store or to pump gas it gets real hot while it sits... I dont know why... maybe something to do with air flow while driving?
I am going to switch to an MGW soon... 3rd gear on my tri-ax sux(easily missed during quick shifts) and I hear MGW shifters own.

+1 on heat. I have a hurst T-handle on my UPR short throw shifter, and It never gets hot, except for in the sun, and being a black car. I don't have any sealent or gasket on the shifter either. (probably should do that anyways)

I used the high temp gasket sealer. I'd say my bigger complaint is the noise than heat.

but you didn't make gaskets out of High Temperature Silicone. Pull it off and reinstall with these.
ShifterGaskets.jpg

I made my own. And only left an opening for the shifter ball that connects to the tranny to move freely. The rest is closed up Covering the enitre aluminium plate. Therefore stopping pretty much ALL heat transfer and most noise.

but you didn't make gaskets out of High Temperature Silicone. Pull it off and reinstall with these.
ShifterGaskets.jpg

I made my own. And only left an opening for the shifter ball that connects to the tranny to move freely. The rest is closed up Covering the enitre aluminium plate. Therefore stopping pretty much ALL heat transfer and most noise.

Thanks for the good info, but I'm swapping the 3650 for a t45 once the clutch goes and I won't buy another triax. I didn't like the isolators on the handle, you lose some of the ratcheting feel when engaging the gears.

I have a UPR Blu Thunder. Got it years ago when they were selling them new for $79.99 hands down the best bang for the buck.

Well built peice and I have had zero problems with it. Hit my gears everytime never miss. Noise and heat transfer is very very minimal but I am sure it's due to the gaskets i made.