Audio guys...need help. There's a ghost in my stereo

tannerc91gt

This last 25% is foreign territory at this point
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Indiana
Installed an aftermarket head unit about a month ago. Worked great, no problems. Recently it's developed some problems I just can't figure out. When driving with a cd playing, taking a turn at any speed seems to eject the cd and turn the stereo to the tuner. Id read that the cd ejecting is a sign that the stereo has lost power but I'm not sure. You can push the cd back in and it will play but it's damn inconvenient. The only thing I can think of is I used a scosche wiring adapter (never had a problem with any of their products). This wiring adapter came with butt connectors attached as opposed the normal bare wires you can twist together and/or solder. The only thing I can think of is around turns, it is pulling just enough to disconnect power :shrug:
I pulled the head unit back out and all the connections seem to be ok but it's hard telling with butt connectors. My only idea is to yank it all out and solder that bish.

FWIW, when parked, everything works and sounds great

Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh, and a nice young man in Bangladesh has informed me through the use of many English words shoved together that it's some kind of "travel floater" that's triggering the eject when going around turns. He said it was mechanical but if I hit the reset button it might fix it...

So,....hit the reset buton.

I was thinking that it was mechanical as opposed to a connection problem. Can you give the console or dash near the CD a bump w/ your fist and make it happen? If you can, I'd say that you need to mount the player more securely, ( like find a way to support the tail) OR you have a defective unit.

If it were me I would cut all the butt connectors off and use new ones. Those ones they come with are crap. I've had problems with them before so now I don't even bother and just use my own. Don't know if it will fix your problem, but its a good possibility.

Butt connectors are only as good as the crimp and leaves a lot to be desired. Aside from "travel floaters" I'd pull the unit and solder them. To me, it sounds like you're losing power and the unit's restarting. Check your ground too. Good luck :)

Turns out it was a mechanical defect afterall. Returned the unit and went with a much better brand. Should have known better than buying a Dual product in the first place. Never again