• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Auto 2 Manual Swap

  • Thread starter Thread starter whyask
  • Start date Start date Jul 1, 2008

whyask

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
735
1
0
Sacramento
Jul 1, 2008
#1
  • Jul 1, 2008
  • #1
Im looking for someone that can do this... I cant stand my auto anymore! Any of you guys know a shop or someone that has done this yet in our models..???
 
S

stanmckinney

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
1,188
5
49
Jul 1, 2008
#2
  • Jul 1, 2008
  • #2
Cheaper to trade.
 
T

The Fang

Member
Sep 11, 2005
602
0
16
Tallahassee Fl
Jul 1, 2008
#3
  • Jul 1, 2008
  • #3
Anthony05 has done this and has a write up on it. Use the search. Like Stan said tho your better off to trade.
 

anthony05gt

Active Member
Mar 18, 2006
1,262
1
37
Maryland
Jul 1, 2008
#4
  • Jul 1, 2008
  • #4
It's not a bad job at all. You can do it in a weekend and you have the option of changing the engine/tranny portion of the wiring harness or not. I did my swap back in '05 and reused the existing auto harness with some modifications. Once the swap is complete you'll need to take a trip to the dealer to have the computer programmed for your keys. If you have an '05-'06 model you can avoid that by having the PCM (computer) re-engineered to a manual type. I know a guy that can do this for you. You CANNOT have '07-up pcm's re-engineered.

Take a look at my manual which I wrote before some of the parts were available. Now, everything is available, but the rubber dust boot under the manny shift boot. I have a few of them if you need one. I have most of the parts listed except a couple of plugs that connect to the tranny. They aren't hard to get....just get a dealer parts guy to look them up now that they are available.

One thing that I did lose was cruise control for some reason which I don't use anyway, but I have an idea why and could probably run a wire to get it working agian.

Click here> http://www.geocities.com/anthony05gt

I see you have an '08....you'll need a remanufactered pcm and a trip to the dealer. Just read the manual and familiarize yourself with it before you make a decision.

It will cost you about -$1500 depending on where and how you get the parts needed. That's figuring you get about $800 or so for your used tranny. My car was one of the first built in '04 ('05 model) and no dealer would deal on a manual car. They wanted like $4500 over sticker so I ended up with a manny car for less than I could have bought it for in late '04.
 

UrbanRedneck

New Member
Mar 27, 2008
173
0
0
Jul 1, 2008
#5
  • Jul 1, 2008
  • #5
Someone on here was just talking about switching his manual for an auto, maybe you can work something out with him to trade parts..
 
B

BLKNED

Member
Jan 27, 2008
67
1
9
Jul 2, 2008
#6
  • Jul 2, 2008
  • #6
You could go with a six speed!
 

whyask

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
735
1
0
Sacramento
Jul 2, 2008
#7
  • Jul 2, 2008
  • #7
Damn Im not the most Mechanicly inclined, So I would have to find a dealer to do the swap or someone with some serious skill. I would love for a six speed ..... Im leaving for afhganistan very soon after I do my pinks run... so I would love to have the wife take care of this project for me.. I have the parts list (thanks you very much anthony) I just want to know DO I HAVE TO stick to the original 5 speed or can I get something a little better !? THanks again guys for all the input !
 

UrbanRedneck

New Member
Mar 27, 2008
173
0
0
Jul 2, 2008
#8
  • Jul 2, 2008
  • #8
I'm sure you could easily use the 6060 out of a GT500 instead.
 

anthony05gt

Active Member
Mar 18, 2006
1,262
1
37
Maryland
Jul 4, 2008
#9
  • Jul 4, 2008
  • #9
That's what I would use if going to something different....the TR6060. That would require a different crossmember, driveshaft, shifter, clutch package and a few other things. You could check out the parts list from D&D performance which is packaged for a 5-speed to 6-speed swap and you'll see what's needed in addition to the parts needed for an auto to manny swap. That 6060 has triple syncros and really is a nice choice.
 

travelers

New Member
Dec 26, 2006
31
0
0
Eastern Pa
Jul 4, 2008
#10
  • Jul 4, 2008
  • #10
Try Adam at ST Motorsports. He's one of the best out there.
 

whyask

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
735
1
0
Sacramento
Jul 4, 2008
#11
  • Jul 4, 2008
  • #11
Thanks for all the input.. Ive started to make some contacts for this project ! You guys are a tank of information.. !!! Thanks again!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
manual swap
  • brockb
  • Feb 9, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
286
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 24, 2026
squeak93
D
2006 GT Windshield Cowl install
  • Daddidio
  • Mar 12, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
0
Views
244
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Mar 12, 2026
Daddidio
D
C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
456
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
B
Stuck
  • bshipley
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
107
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 28, 2026
squeak93
H
Drivetrain 6R80 to t56 swap
  • Holymoses
  • Apr 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
371
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?