AUTO to MANUAL HELP

miko6140

Jan 11, 2007
:bang: i know this has been asked many times in the past, but i havent asked so here.......i have a 2001 gt. i just purchased it. it was a one owner, older guy. he traded it for an 06. it has alot done already, just about all the bolt ons, except a supercharger, not yet that is, rims, suspension, problem is its auto. the tranny is worked some-what, and i have to admit i am having fun fish tailing the living **** out of the car without effort, but its not the same as a stick. the price was way to good to pass up, so i figure its well worth converting and still making out. i am not doing this because of track time, or 60ft times, and i know there are many aod believers out there, and i know theres quite a bit of work involved, but i just love manuals.

so first: i am in the tampa bay area, if theres anyone interested in swapping there manual gt to an auto, please let me know (60k miles, shift kit, stall, solid tranny)

second: i havent found any step by step instructions online for a 01 gt swap, a few for the 5.0s, but i dont want to fill in the blanks once i begin, i want detailed instructions on my specific car if possible.

third: a list of parts needed. i will be hitting some yards and picking up parts, and the last thing i need is to be in the belly of the beast and realize i dont have all the **** i need. this is my only car, so this will be a weekend backyard job.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
p.s. how do i know what gears i have. its great to have bought the car with alot done, but trying to figure out whats done........well that sucks. the car shifts really early when driving around town, like 1500 to 2000, and with the shift kit, its neckbreaking. but when i get on it, its great.

• Sponsors (?)

For figuring out what gears you have: jack the rear end up with the car in neutral and mark the driveshaft with a sticker or something. Turn one of the wheels one full turn and count how many times the driveshaft rotates. 3 3/4 turns =3.73 gears, almost 4 turns = 3.91s, a little over 4 turns = 4.10s, and 3 1/4 turns = the stocker 3.23 gears.