Auto to Manual Swap, problems please help

91foxbod50

Sep 26, 2007
swapped my auto out for a t-5. im having clearence problems. I already started cutting the area where the shifter comes through for clearence issues as ive read previously. but now when i take a closer look its not lining up with the crossmember i got thats for a manual trans. the mounts themself for the crossmemeber dont even look like they line up with the trans mount. also the shifter base is hitting the floor where it comes through as well. am i supposed to cut more or what?

The bolts for the trans mount wont go through the slots on the crossmember. there to far foward towards the front of the car. and it looks as if the motor is still tilted back a little.

engine and trans is out of a 87 gt and my car is a 91lx

• Sponsors (?)

Should still work with convertible mounts.

As for the floorpan, the shifter should stick up through the floor slightly, so it's normal for it to hit sometimes. Just make sure you trim enough. The oem 5spd cars come with a sheet metal panel that tack welds tp the trans tunnel and lifts the shifter higher. The AOD cars don't have this. You don't need it, just trim enough so the shifter clears. Make sure you install the gold colored inner boot. Some of the holes won't line up.

As for the crossmember, I believe the t-5 member has the side supports tack welded to the center of the slide rails, while the AOD is welded woth the crossmember slide full back.

mustang5l5

As for the crossmember, I believe the t-5 member has the side supports tack welded to the center of the slide rails, while the AOD is welded woth the crossmember slide full back.

can you go into more detail on this?

5-spd crossmember

Notice the mount tubes on the side are centered
mustang-5-0-t5-transmission-crossmember_160593435704.jpg

AOD crossmember

notice the tubes are slide full to one side (the rear)
crossmember09.jpg

As to which way it goes in. The flat side faces up, the open side faces the ground. Also, there is a small hole in the crossmember. You can see it in the AOD pic on the right side. This is where the VSS harness clips in. This hole is on the DRIVER's side. So, open side down, hold on driver's side, with the tubes on the side centered