Auto Trans delayed shift

2000GTRob

Apr 28, 2011
Hello all, hope someone can help me.

I have a 2000 GT with auto trans, 80,000 miles. Yesterday the trans started shifting way late, especially when taking off fast. It wants to rev to 5000 rpm before shifting late in the acceleration, around 60 mph. The first couple of shifts (from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd) are fine and its also fine on slower accelerations.

I checked the fluid, level is fine, looks red, and has no unusal smell.

Anyone had similar problems or know what this could be?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont see anything wrong with 5k rpm shifts when accelerating fast. At full throttle it should shift up near 6k. The car shouldnt shift into 4th (overdrive) if you are accelerating reasonably hard.

If you floor it thru the first 3 gears does it ever smack the rev limiter?

Regardless, when did you last change your tranny fluid? Thats the most important thing for the auto trans. Every 20k is a good idea.

your right, 5000 isn't that bad for a shift, however, what it is doing is getting to 5000 and staying there for 3-4 seconds before shifting. I usually let off at that point because I don't want to blow the engine. It has never hit the rev limiter on any take off yet. I know it sounds strange, but that is what it is doing. The first couple of shifts come quick and without a problem, its the higher end shifts that are delayed.

The fluid was last changed at 65,000, which was 15,000 miles ago.

Thanks for your help and any further help you can give.

Well you arent going to damage your engine, so I wouldnt worry. Youre not even hitting the limiter.
I'm a little confused as to how you are getting to 5k rpm in 3rd and only going 60mph? Autos run the 1/4 mile without using OD. 5k rpm should be more like 100mph if your car has stock gears. Are you sure its the 3-OD shift and not the 2-3 shift that you are referring to.

If you shut off OD using the button on the shifter then that takes 4th right out of the equation.

If you floor it through 1, 2 and into 3 is everything totally normal? Nice sharp shifts around 6k rpm?

A video would be really useful if you had a camera handy?