1995 GT Auto Trans issues.

Oct 21, 2017
My 1995 GT with 160k miles has been having trans issues for the past year. When I start it and first take off, the tranny shifts fine right up to 4th gear no problems. After a couple of minutes when it warms up, it starts jolting once I hit 3rd gear. Im assuming these automatics skip 1st and just start at 2nd gear unless you put it in 1 on the shifter. Taking off in 2nd is fine but once it shifts to 3rd, the trans hesitates to go, jolts and vibrates like mad. Then when it shifts to 4th, it goes back to normal and it cruises fine. Is this common? I was thinking of a rebuild but if it's a simple fix which I doubt, then I'll wait.

• Sponsors (?)

What is the condition of the trans fluid?
shifter work ok? No issues starting in park?
Have you checked the alignment of the manual lever position switch?
They are also none for going bad,bad connection at the switch and can cause many trans issues-
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Trans fluid is pink and clear, and car starts no problem in park, engine hot or cold. I haven't checked the MLPS. I'll check that and make its aligned when I get a chance. So I have to align the outer line with that little line on the shift linkage shaft while in Neutral. correct?

Yes in neutral-you will line up the marks- also be sure to check the connector for corrosion etc.
5E96AA2A-FA62-4C77-B8ED-DFC2606FAD69.jpeg
Sorry for the late response, but the MLPS when I checked it was aligned. Is there anything else I can check? As I said It's weird. When the Trans is cold its smooth shifts, no jolting, no feeling at all the transmission is doing anything. After about 3 minutes of driving, hell rises and here we go with rough shifts, sometimes skipping over a gear, hard jolting, grinding, slipping. Fluid once again is alright.