• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Auto ??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bad Sheep
  • Start date Start date Jul 8, 2010

Bad Sheep

Well-Known Member
Jul 7, 2010
212
113
63
ontario
Jul 8, 2010
#1
  • Jul 8, 2010
  • #1
My car has a O.D. in it, I have read that they suck alot of power from the motor. Is it worth keeping the auto and doing upgrades?? Should I swap in a t5?? It is going to be a street car and weekend drag car but not a DD.
 

KamiKaziDK

Member
May 16, 2005
555
0
17
Mesa, Az
Jul 8, 2010
#2
  • Jul 8, 2010
  • #2
Well do you plan on just racing it for fun or being serious about bracket racing? An AOD is certainly going to net you more consistant ETs, but a t5 is gonna be a little bit quicker and more fun to drive, especially if you ever plan on taking it around some corners. And you're comparing a 15%(T5) power loss to 20%(AOD)
 

Bad Sheep

Well-Known Member
Jul 7, 2010
212
113
63
ontario
Jul 11, 2010
#3
  • Jul 11, 2010
  • #3
I plan on racing it when I can find time to go. I was thinking auto because manual seem to be high price when it comes to them handeling power. Stall torque and a shift kits in a auto and should be good. With my O.D. tranny now the car goes good, it will chirp in second gear.
 

twistedwankel

Member
Sep 7, 2006
200
0
17
Spring Hill, FL
Jul 11, 2010
#4
  • Jul 11, 2010
  • #4
Bad Sheep said:
I plan on racing it when I can find time to go. I was thinking auto because manual seem to be high price when it comes to them handeling power. Stall torque and a shift kits in a auto and should be good. With my O.D. tranny now the car goes good, it will chirp in second gear.
Click to expand...

I autocross both my old Stock AOD cars and they work fine BUT. To get it to stay in 2nd gear and then have to hit 3rd one has to do the L D L D shuffle which certainly is a time consuming PIA and cannot be good for the tranny either. That means you best just leave it in "D" shifting at about 4600rpm for consistency in runs as a bracket racer at the drags.

I'd have to give thought to a different auto trans with this "missing" 2nd gear setting for drag racing at optimum rpms.

I'm sure someone has gotten around it on this board on the cheap so it will shift manually 1,2,3 without churning butter every time. OR pulling the shifter knob off in one's hand like I did once all ready!! Definately need a handle with the setscrew for racing.
 

SLO_5-OH

New Member
Nov 12, 2007
20
0
1
Stuarts Draft, VA
Jul 12, 2010
#5
  • Jul 12, 2010
  • #5
I went 7 tenths quicker in the 1/4-mile when I switched from a T-5 to an AOD with my previous 302 setup. My AOD isn't stock though. It has a Lentech valvebody so it shifts 1-2-3-4. I also have a 10" non-lockup torque converter.

This setup does make chassis dyno numbers look low, but at the track it shifts very quickly and is very consistent and should drop your ET's. So unless you're a fast power-shifter with a T-5, an automatic tranny will lower your ET's and be much more consistent.

Dean
 

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
1,133
34
69
New Bedford, MA
Jul 12, 2010
#6
  • Jul 12, 2010
  • #6
Rebuild the AOD with a manual valve body + upgrades.
 

Bad Sheep

Well-Known Member
Jul 7, 2010
212
113
63
ontario
Jul 12, 2010
#7
  • Jul 12, 2010
  • #7
Thank you for the info
 

Bad Sheep

Well-Known Member
Jul 7, 2010
212
113
63
ontario
Jul 12, 2010
#8
  • Jul 12, 2010
  • #8
How much will a stock O.D. take?? Or should I upgrade it before touching the motor??
 

Pokageek

Active Member
Jun 10, 2005
2,767
0
46
MA, USA
Jul 13, 2010
#9
  • Jul 13, 2010
  • #9
T-5 it. Big difference in power to the ground and more fun.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Electrical V8 swap no power to anything
  • Bullittsmith
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
4
Views
176
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Sep 15, 2026
Mcmahst
N
Engine 86 GT no start/stall
  • nweber
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
218
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 29, 2026
AeroCoupe
Electrical Code 29 again
  • Creomod
  • Jul 31, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
280
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 3, 2026
Creomod
D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
242
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Saturday at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
F
Electrical Foxbody wiring harness 2.3 to v8 swap
  • Foxbodyjake
  • Mar 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
Kleinjj27
K
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?