Automatic/Manual, with or w/o AC

WhiteFizzo

Founding Member
May 17, 2000
Virginia Beach Va
I installed the FMS B springs about a year ago. The front sits WAY too low for my tastes. I have decided to put some stock ride height replacement coil springs in the front and keep the B springs in the rear. My question is that when I look on the websites (autozone, advance...) the springs are different for the transmission and for the AC. I am guessing that this has to do with the weight of the front end of the car. My car being an automatic (with dreams of converting to a 5 speed someday:rolleyes: ) with factory air conditioning, if I put in the springs for a manual w/o ac would this drop the ride height from when it was stock? Or is there just not that much difference in the springs and I wouldn't be able to tell?

• Sponsors (?)

Do they actually list a different part number for auto/manual AC/non-AC? Parts stores (and their websites) always ask you those questions, no matter what part you're buying. Maybe it's asking the question and giving the same part #?

If there is a difference in the springs they sell, I would suspect the difference is so small you wouldn't be able to tell.

I never even considered the idea that Ford put different springs in auto/manual 5.0's. Anyone know?

I just put FMS B springs in my car, and they did lower the front end quite a bit more than I would like. Even with the polyurethane insulators. Of course my old Paxton isn't light, and I'm sure it pulls the nose down a bit also.

Good luck.

Jeff

There shouldn't be any difference between V8 springs except for:

There were 4 specific spring rates:

1 for I4 cars
1 for V8 cars
1 for I4 convertible cars
1 for V8 convertible cars

The transmission and A/C don't contribute too much to the overall weight of a vehicle and shouldn't play any role with spring rates.

WhiteFizzo said:
I didn't think that there would be much of a difference, if any. That being said, there are different part numbers for the different transmission, ac, and bodystyle (coupe, hatch, convertable) combinations.

Just call the knowledgable counter guy and ask him what the difference is!
:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh:

Sorry about that, I have bad luck with parts people.

Seriously though, I'm not really sure what to suggest. It's possible they are all the same spring, just labeled for different "applications"?

You could always just buy the ones they say are for your car and call it good. A 5-speed swap down the line won't change how the car sits.

If you are concerned about the front end sitting too high with the B springs in back, you could always cut the new springs (carefully, 1/4 coil at a time?) until it sits how you wanted it to.

Jeff