Automatic To Manual Trans Swap???

Barchiola

Dec 26, 2014
Hi everyone and happy thanksgiving if you're reading this today. I'm sitting here looking for a good used 2014 Mustang convertible while waiting for the turkey to finish cooking and there are a ton of automatic trans cars but very few V6 manual trans cars.

How much trouble would it be to swap a manual trans into an auto trans car? Can the trans be pulled with the engine still in the car or would the engine have to come out to get the trans separate from the engine block?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi everyone and happy thanksgiving if you're reading this today. I'm sitting here looking for a good used 2014 Mustang convertible while waiting for the turkey to finish cooking and there are a ton of automatic trans cars but very few V6 manual trans cars.

How much trouble would it be to swap a manual trans into an auto trans car? Can the trans be pulled with the engine still in the car or would the engine have to come out to get the trans separate from the engine block?

Thanks!
In this day and age, you're far better off just buying the car that has the transmission you want.

That said, don't count out the 2013-14 automatic cars. I've driven both the auto and stick back-to-back in otherwise virtually identical 2014 Mustangs, and found the automatic in manual mode to be more enjoyable than the manual.

why do you say, "in this day and age"

i'd think in this day and age making the change and reprogramming the computers would be easy enough. or are you saying there are so many modules and sensors to swap out that it's a royal pain in the a**?

why do you say, "in this day and age"

i'd think in this day and age making the change and reprogramming the computers would be easy enough. or are you saying there are so many modules and sensors to swap out that it's a royal pain in the a**?

That's the short version, yes.

Its a very complicated project - back in 2011 I bought a 4 cyl 1993 coupe (auto) and was planning to convert it as well (before computers)....besides the conversion of the rear end / brakes and speedo etc....I ended up just selling it ....and I'm looking for a coupe V-8 stick car too Much trouble 74stang2togo is right ...just find the car you want ...Bruce at Modern Driveline was nice enough to send me a quote so I'd have a parts list ....see enclosed ....its a PITA and for the money you'd spend ....you could just get a nicer car ....my two (2) cents

Attachments

• Est_3318_from_Modern_Driveline_Inc._7052.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 186