Autometer electric oil pressure and water temp gauge issues.

FHPstang

May 31, 2002
Michigan
Autometer electric oil pressure and water temp gauge issues.

Installed new electric gauges, water temp and oil pressure. I installed the sending units in the stock locations. Yes, I removed the old senders and replaced them with the autometer supplied senders. I used teflon high temp pipe sealant (liquid pipe thread compound), The problem is that they are not working. There is power to the gauges - 12v - confirmed using a test light. Ground to the gauges has also been confirmed using the same test light. Sending unit wires are 18 gauges as auto meter suggested in the instructions. Any suggestions on what the issue can be. I can see 1 not working but both? Am I not getting a good ground at the sender because of the teflon thread sealant?

Thanks in advance....

• Sponsors (?)

As an alternative (or for quick diagnostics anyhow), I would use a ground wire on the sender body itself. Run the other end to a clean location on the engine.
This is how mine are, and it has worked ok for me (I didn't see any reasons why this would be an issue. I like *knowing* I have a known, dedicated ground pathway).

Good luck.