AWD Aerostar Aluminum driveshaft

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I was searching the forum here for information on the AWD aerostart Al. driveshaft and the information was incomplete.

It seems to be commonly known that the 92-95 driveshaft can be used, but the yoke is different. If you reuse the yoke from your mustang along with the 353 U-joint from napa, it will bolt in.

However, no information was given for the 96-97 AWD aerostar driveshaft. I picked up one of these this weekend, for about 20$ from the local scrap yard. It already has the proper 27/28 spline yoke and needs no modification to install on a mustang. Also, the ends are securely welded on, as opposed to previous driveshafts which were pressed on. I'm not sure if the 92-95 driveshaft is pressed or welded though.

Just thought I would spread the information as it has never been mentioned here on stangnet.

• Sponsors (?)

Sure, sounds good.

Good stuff Brian.

Hope you don't mind but I tossed a link to this thread into one of the Stickies here.

yeah, you can do that... but on the 96-97 AWD shaft, you shouldn't have to. The aerostar got the ford 7.5, and I'm pretty sure it has the same flange as the mustangs 7.5 or 8.8.

On the 92-95 AWD shaft, you do have to swap the yoke, along with that napa U-joint adapter.

If i remember right i used the areostar input shaft an the mustangs rear flange an it bolted right in.

wow thats interesting i thought they all had same driveshafts, i had contemplated looking into getting one but didnt want to go through the hassle of swapping yokes and trying to find the right ones.

but if 96-97 ones bolt right up that sounds like a plan

make sure the 97 one is the right length...i've got 3 AWD aluminum driveshafts and every time i swap the yoke and flange with both from a mustang, and use new HD U joints(for a mustang, there is no "conversion" about it)

bhuff30 AWD Aerostar Aluminum driveshaft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was searching the forum here for information on the AWD aerostart Al. driveshaft and the information was incomplete.

It seems to be commonly known that the 92-95 driveshaft can be used, but the yoke is different. If you reuse the yoke from your mustang along with the 353 U-joint from napa, it will bolt in.

However, no information was given for the 96-97 AWD aerostar driveshaft. I picked up one of these this weekend, for about 20$ from the local scrap yard. It already has the proper 27/28 spline yoke and needs no modification to install on a mustang. Also, the ends are securely welded on, as opposed to previous driveshafts which were pressed on. I'm not sure if the 92-95 driveshaft is pressed or welded though.

Just thought I would spread the information as it has never been mentioned here on stangnet

it is this true? it so, it would be great because i have an a unit that im think comens in a 96 aerostar, so how can i identify if i need to replace the yoke and the rear flange?

aerostar aluminum drive shaft

Could somebody please help me find one of these 96 or 97 aluminum drive shafts for my mustang. I have searched all over my area and cannot find one. If somebody could please find one for me and send it I would gladly appriciate it. I have seen where you guy's are getting them from the junk yard very reasanable. Please let me know how much and the shipping to 46341. Thank You very much.

Quick question about this, I know the speed and the auto trans drivelines are different. I picked up a 94 Aerostar driveline today. Does the yoke that slides into the trans. itself work, or does that need to be swapped as well to fit in the t5? And I take it you need the Napa u joint to swap the flange that bolts to the rearend itself?