axles are loose in the spider gears

ShortThrow50

Oct 22, 2006
Pa
It is a brand new 8.8 w/373's from frpp. Figures I bought a reject so anyway I went and spend another 400 bucks to have a shop diagnose the knock i was getting from going in and out of throttle. He said the play was coming from the spider gears. At fist he thought it was the pinion or something. He put new spider gears which fixed it about 80 percent but the knock is still there slightly which he had told me. The axles which are the ones from the old unit still seem to have play in them. It never did this with the old unit. I guess im supposed to just deal with this? I know some will say "take it to another shop". The truth is I know the guy pretty well and he has done many gears on stangs. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you Sure the knock was comming from the spider gears? Did he check the backlash? When you say you are in and out of the throttle it bangs. It could be the backlash between the ring gear and the pinion gear.

Are you Sure the knock was comming from the spider gears? Did he check the backlash? When you say you are in and out of the throttle it bangs. It could be the backlash between the ring gear and the pinion gear.

I swaer that it is what you say (pinion and ring gear). Ill just have to bite the bullet and take it somewhere else.