Back After A Month With Bad News.

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Hey all. Haven't been lurking around for about the past month. It sickens me to have to say that my car was totalled. No injuries but the car is done.

Someone failed to yield, pulled out in front of me from a parking lot and killed my car.

Heavy front end damage and all four driver side airbags deployed.

Now I'm contemplating my options. I liked my 15 but didn't care much for the car payment. I'm wondering if maybe I should try something a little older and buy it outright instead of going all in on another new car. Maybe I'll go back to sn95, I know those cars pretty well. Got a friend who thinks I should try a vintage car. Not ruling out non mustang vehicles either. Thoughts, opinions and ideas are always welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

That really sucks but I'm glad there were no injuries. I went from an s197 to a fox for various reasons and I've been very happy. It's up to you and your wallet how old you want want to go but I would ask if you are looking for a project and what your goals would be. Do you need something that is immediately reliable or is this going to be a fun car? If I had the time and money, I would love to get a classic mustang to restomod....or a 71 chevelle, but that's just me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm conflicted. The purpose of the car would be cruising and occasional recreational wrenching.

I love the uniqueness of the old cars and the "simplicity" of their mechanics. Simplicity in quotes because I haven't messed with distributors in a decade and carburetors in probably 15 years, The cons of the oldies are body rot, many don't have AC nor a decent radio, and they sure don't have the reliability of the late model stuff.

The newer stuff is better for jumping in and going. They're packed with creature comforts. Easy to make big power with blowers and whatnot. Drawbacks would be the newer stuff is less distinctive. They have a higher upfront price. I've messed with fox bodies and not really wanting to go that route. I was pretty involved with 04 GT, bolted everything I could onto that car, so I have a good understanding of the new edges.

I'm drawn to the 03/04 Mach 1's but kind of think I'll be doing my 04 GT all over again with 16 extra valves and cool hood. Still would have to contend with the shortcomings of the rods/pistons and limits of the T3650.

Would love to get a Boss but they're more than new GTs around here. 35 to 40G in these parts. Now that I've escaped the new car payment, I don't really want to go back.

Been pondering Grand National, 65 to 68 Mustang coupes (fastbacks are too expensive), 63 to 65 Falcon, and the later Mach 1's. Other cars cross my mind but these ones are what I usually circle back to. :thinking:

I almost bought a 13 Boss in gotta have it green, but as much as i love that body style and the Coyote v8, ultimately i went with the 15 V6. I wanted a daily driver that was fun, naturally aspirated (for now), and most importantly, IRS. I just really like the body style as it reminds me of the awesomeness of the Fast Back models in the late 1960s that i love so much. Not to mention ya cant touch anything like it for the price point.

I could honestly never fathom downgrading back to an SN95 after owning an S550. At least pick yourself up an '11-'14 5.0 S197. The payments would still be quite manageable...especially when you consider how much money you'll have to sink into an SN95, just not to feel embarrassed for its stock power levels. You'll never come anywhere close to building a comparable car to a "STOCK" late model S1967 for the money with an older 5.0L OHV or 4.6L SOHC/DOHC mill.

I daily drove a '68 from '97-'05....while I learned a lot from always having to fix it (lol), I would never take a classic route as a daily ever again. Now, if it had been given the restomod treatment powertrain wise I could see it as a possibility. However, then you are probably looking at a much more expensive car. Just my opinion really...

Pick up an Ecoboost. They can be had on the cheap and a couple local guys here are pushing around 400. That's about the safe limit, but very respectable and the turbo sounds pretty cool. Got to admit the exhaust systems sound way better than Hondas!

Horsepower isn't the end all, be all. Something cheap, and fun to dust off on the weekends can be great. There are so many options, and it depends what you want it for. Coffee run, date night cruiser, weekend test and tune, car shows/meets. Good luck, and sorry to hear about the 2015.

I would have to agree with some of the items listed above. I had the 08 GT/CS with the 4.6 V8. I loved that car even though I only owned it 14 months before I had to have a commuter for 500 miles a week driving. Now having the 15 GT 5.0 I would hate to go back. However I would not hesitate to go with the 15 Ecoboost. I had test driven a few before deciding to go head first into the 5.0. for a 4 cylinder I was really impressed and given the IRS it still handles great. Around my area you can pick up a new Ecoboost well equipped for 25-30. I too could do a 67-69 coupe or fastback but I would not want it for a daily driver. All depends on what you want. Sorry to hear about your 15 and best of luck in deciding.