Back In The Mustang Club

trusaleen1

Mar 5, 2017
Guys its been awhile but i'm back. I've had several mustangs in the past including, 2004 Cobra, 2001 Saleen (non supercharged), 96 Cobra, 91 5.0. So its been awhile and I just picked up 2016 Cali Edition GT 6-speed. It's a daily driver so I dont want to go too crazy. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Anything I should know. This was my start point. I'm open to suggestions

1. Steeda shifter -s550-mustang-tri-ax-short-throw-shifter-2015

2. Steeda clutch sprint

3. Ford Performance Pack 1]

4. Roush- I want to gain some extra sound but nothing crazy.

5. Ford Performance Street Handling Pack- this would be a little later down the line.

Attachments

• IMG_0234 copy.jpg
    IMG_0234 copy.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Sponsors (?)

In 2005 Ford mounted the shifter to the underside of the trans tunnel to reduce N.V.H., the drawback is when the trans torques sideways under heavy load the shifter linkage does not line up correctly anymore causing side loading on the linkage and syncros and thus premature wear and eventually syncro failure. Any aftermarket shifter for the MT-82 six speed manual will not solve the shifter issues. The only solution that actually works is the blowfish racing shifter support bracket. It mounts to the trans mount and supports the back of the shifter housing allowing it to move with the trans preventing hard shifting under load which can damage the syncros. It also incorporates a NHRA approved driveshaft safety loop. Only down side is it only fits the factory shifter, but ford racing makes a short throw shifter the fits into the stock shifter housing, thus allowing the blowfish support bracket to be used. Don't know what the steeda shifter costs, but the ford short throw runs about 250 and the blowfish bracket runs 250.

This was the first mod I did to mine right after I bought it. After the 2 guys at work who've had trans problems with their S197 stangs, I decided this needed to be done ASAP. The s197's also have the MT-82 from 2011 up.

There is another fix but it will run you 3-4K and that is switching to the tremec T-56, it has internal shift rails and a shifter that directly mounts to the trans.