Backup Light Wiring Help...

TazerRE

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I have an inspection with WSP on friday I'm trying to pass. I don't know if they typically check backup lights or not, but I'm sure that if I don't get them working, they'll decide that I'm the first... That's the way my luck's run lately.

69 w/3spd manual from a 70

Anyway, all the wiring looks intact (though they have never worked), but I've had the tranny out a few times and haven't noticed a wire on the linkage or anything. Can somebody explain to me where the wire to turn them on is supposed to go, where I would look for it?

If I can't find it, I'll just do a bit of creative wiring, but if I can do it RIGHT, I'd definitely like to.

Everything else on the car works fine, I even fixed the side marker lights, but those backup lights are giving me trouble.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure I can be much help but I will try. On my old 67 4 speed there was a switch on the shifter linkage for the backup lights. Seems like the wiring went up to a plug on the firewall somewhere around the mastercylinder. I want to say it was a 4wire plug?? I had at one time tied the wires together so they stayed on all the time. Got pulled over for that one and had to unwire them. lol....
If you dont have a switch on the tranny. Then look for the plug on the firewall that has nothing pluged into it. Take a test light and see if you can find a hot wire with the key on. If so then I would guess thats the feed for it. One of the wires close to it should go to the lights.
Sorry I cant be more detailed on this. The car I have now they dont work on either and I havent even started to worry about that problem yet for all the others...... :nonono: lol

Bud

TazerRE said:
I have an inspection with WSP on friday I'm trying to pass. I don't know if they typically check backup lights or not, but I'm sure that if I don't get them working, they'll decide that I'm the first... That's the way my luck's run lately.

69 w/3spd manual from a 70

Anyway, all the wiring looks intact (though they have never worked), but I've had the tranny out a few times and haven't noticed a wire on the linkage or anything. Can somebody explain to me where the wire to turn them on is supposed to go, where I would look for it?

If I can't find it, I'll just do a bit of creative wiring, but if I can do it RIGHT, I'd definitely like to.

Everything else on the car works fine, I even fixed the side marker lights, but those backup lights are giving me trouble.

there is a flat 2 wire plug for manual's and a square 4 wire plug for auto's
in the wire loom near the masterbrake area.
it had a extention that went to the trans for the rev light and neutral safety switch.

If you don't have the shifter light switch you could temp wire in a toggle to operate the lights.

Not uncommon problem. On a manual the switch is on the trans as stated earlier. WSP doesn't check B/U's generally UNLESS the car is marginal. Be sure that you have a good fuse, sockets, bulbs and a good ground. A toggle makes sense to me.

If you are dressed decently, the car is clean and otherside well-maintained, and you speak confidently, I seriously doubt if it would be a problem. BTW, make sure that the license light works.

Yeah and good luck trying to ever find a replacement backup light switch for your 3-speed. They don't make them anymore and they also don't remake them. They only remake the 4 speed ones, and that is not compatible. I've got the same problem you have but my PO just cut the wiring at the transmission point and wrapped it around my ebrake line under the car!! :mad: No switch in sight and like 2 months ago I made 2 different posts looking for help and got none.

So yes, unless you switch to a 4-speed, just wire a toggle. For the time being I'm going to wire it to my "Nitrous Armed" plate under my shifter. No NOS in my car at this time, so it's convenient enough to pass inspection.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

-Tim

Thanks everybody.

SD, it's on friday, I plan to give it a very thorough cleaning before then. I'm not sure if the license light works or not, I'll check that today. Should that light be on all the time, or just when the headlights/parking lights are on?

Excellent point about the appearance and (appearing) respectibility of both the car AND driver, if I can make a good first impression, that's one step in the right direction.

Years of experience have taught me that appearance is important in dealing with authority. True, you have the right to make any impression you wish but if you appearance is "offensive", authority tends to "nit pick" you. Just like you don't argue with the cop that pulls you over, contrition never hurts.