Bad Belt Tensioner?

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
On my 94 gt when I start it up the belt squeels. I have a shortened belt and have never had this problem until 2 or 3 days ago. I dont have a smog pump but everything else is there. I looked at the tensioner and its hitting the stop on the tensioner, is my belt stretched or my tensioner bad? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What size belt are you running? What do you mean by "hitting the stop"? Is the range indicator at its limit? My short belt chirps when I start the engine, just one puick chirp as it comes to life, then no more. You may have your belt routed wrong as I do. I have a 76.5" belt and this is wrong for a smog delete. I should be running a 84.5" or so belt. You should be too. Also how long have you been running this belt?

its at the limit on the range indicator, not in the middle? No its not routed wrong because it didnt do this in the past. the belt only has 1200 miles on it so im leaning toward a new belt tensioner, think im right?

I looked at my belt and Im running a 895 with underdrive alt, water pump, crank pullies and no smog pump. I think Im going to try a 894 belt and see what happens. Think the belt is too big?