bad engine vibration

90lxhatch5.0

Jul 27, 2007
i have a 1990 lx 5.0 5 spd i just bought the car ,it had a vibration when i bought it . it can be felt in neutral at any rpm above 2600,when in any gear driving ,same rpm's but vibration is more noticable , the shifter vibrates quite a bit when driving and gets worse the higher the rpm. i installed a new balancer 50oz, same problem, i have also bought a new 50 oz flywheel new clutch & pressure plate, but have not installed it yet. just wondering if anyone else has had a vibration problem similar to this one , any info would be great .oh one more thing i bought a second hand t-5 from a turbo coupe TB ,i asked one of my friends about a suitable piolet bearing to fit this setup since the t-5 will have a smaller input shaft.He told me to get a bearing to fit a 1984 ford ranger diesel. if anyone has heard of this working please let me know because im changing all of this stuff asap .Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles does the car have? Also, what kind of motor mounts and tranny mounts do you have?

Since the vibration is noticable when the car isn't moving and in neutral, it would be limited to a motor vibration. I would check what rockytoohot mentioned and see if all of the drivebelt area doesn't have anything loose.

Fred

i forgot to mention when i installed the poineer fluid damper 50 oz i started the engine with the belt off to eliminate fan, water pump etc, thats why i am starting to head to back of the engine(flywheel,pressure plate,clutch,i also notice when i put the car in reverse and start to let out on the clutch i can feel a similar vibration or nudging feeling.its starting to drive me nuts.

tranny mounts are stock as well as well as engine mounts. engine has over 100,000 kms, i can feel the vibration in neutral ,but it is alot worse when im driving,i dont even turn the engine over 3500 anymore just because the vibration is so annoying,

u sure you dont have a injector misfiring? My 86 had a huge vibration. The problem was 2 fold. One was a bad injector, not firing the 2nd issue was a bad harmonic balancer. Run a clyinder balance test.

PROBLEM solved i installed a new flywheel ,clutch pressure plate ,and a different tranny,no more vibration, what a difference ,the car vibrated ever since i bought it a few months ago, didnt realize how well the engine works .BTW i had 2 broken dowel pins in the old flywhee lplus it was so burned that it was purple and blue with alot of heat cracks.oh and for those of you that want to put a 4 cly or 6 cyl tranny in your 5.0 ,an 1984 ranger diesel piolet bearing is a perfect fit, thanks for all of the advise guys