Bad ignition???

GomerP7

Nov 5, 2004
My buddy was driving his 2.3 down the road the other day and it shut off on him. We towed it to my house and I have been trouble shooting it. So far I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I also fixed a missing vacuum line. Nothing has changed after I made all those repairs. The car turns over but never starts. When I check the voltage to the coil it said 3.25 volts, and only when I am trying to start it. I am leaning toward the Igniton Module being bad, but I have never run into a problem like this before. He had a spare coil in his back seat and that produced the same results. It is definetly a lack of spark, I am just trying to pinpoint the cause of the lacking spark. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Oh, I pulled the codes and got an 89. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Gomer, code 89 is: "Lock-up solenoid circuit failure, or Converter clutch override solenoid circuit failure". This code would not cause a no-start condition.

I would agree that the trouble is a bad ICM, especially with the 3.25v to the coil. That's much too low. Lots of auto parts places test them for free; might be worth a shot before dropping the cash for a new one.....

HYS