Bad Rag Joint?

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
HPIM0149.jpg

HPIM0148.jpg

Also, do these tags have any significance towards the build date for my car?

HPIM0151.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a while since I was under mine, but that doesn't look like the rag joint. It's actually lower on the shaft. That just looks like a bushing/isolator to absorb NVH.

If you want your vehicles build date, check inside the driver door jam. The label has the production date printed on there.

I have had some issues, other than routine maintenance like 2 plug blowouts, the intake manifold, and the calipers seizing up and dragging. The car has 119k miles and counting. Once I can land a job now that I got my degree, the car will probably see a new motor...Next week is some Corbeau's and then probably a new steering shaft because seeing this really bothers me that something else will go wrong...

There's nothing wrong with that steering shaft based on the pictures you provided. As others have said, that is not the rag joint; in fact, and in fact, I don't know what it is or why it's there (and it's only there on some cars; I have seen Mustangs with and without that rubber thing). I replaced my steering shaft with a Cobra one a few years ago, and I enjoyed the reduced slop and improved road feel, but I wish I had gone right for the Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft. If you do choose to upgrade, don't spin the steering wheel when the shaft is disconnected, or you will break the clock spring (sliding contact) in the steering wheel like I did :nonono:

my steering shaft finally went bad while at Myrtle beach last week because of my longtubes. Thanks to that, my drive home was like piloting a boat through rough water for three hours. I bought a flaming river steel shaft to replace it.